Illinois Department of Human Services
Division of Family & Community Services
Pregnant women participating in the WIC Program at Winnebago and Macon County Health Departments.
Pregnant, breastfeeding and postpartum (6 months) women who have a household income of 185% of poverty or less, and who have been assessed by a WIC health professional at Winnebago and Macon County Health Departments.
Increase the number of women who completely abstain from drinking alcohol during pregnancy.
The FASD Prevention Program will screen all pregnant WIC participants, or approximately 3,000 individuals, to assess high-risk drinking behavior using the T-ACE screening questionnaire.
The FASD program is a pilot project funded by Northrop-Grumman. The proposed local service organization for demonstrating the Illinois FASD Prevention Program includes the Winnebago County Health Department (WCHD) and the Macon County Health Department (MCHD). The FASD Prevention Program screens all pregnant WIC participants, or approximately 3,000 individuals, to assess high-risk drinking behavior using the T-ACE screening questionnaire. It is estimated that approximately 10% of women screened will receive at least one Brief Intervention. Project staff has implemented procedures among the maternal and child health programs in the health departments to encourage participation in an effort to minimize attrition. Women who continue to engage in high-risk behavior are referred to substance abuse treatment centers in the area.
|Program Expenditures (Numbers in 000's)
|Number of Grantees
- SFY11 was the project's third full year.
- Both grantees (WCHD & MCHD) staff received refresher training quarterly by Prevention First Inc.
- The FASD Prevention Task Force, which consists of members from the state WIC Program, WCHD, MCHD, the Center for Prevention Research and Development (CPRD), Rosecrance Health Network, Health Care & Family Services, the evaluation team, Prevention First Incorporated and a mother of a child with FASD met quarterly.
- The group reviewed and finalized project deliverables including a revised implementation plan, and an annual report.
- Data was collected and processed by CPRD and submitted to Northrop Grumman as required.