The information in the training plan example below is only a guide. Providers should develop a schedule that meets their training and operational needs and coordinates the scheduling of OJT activities. It is recommended that at the end of each module, the corresponding OJT activities follow as closely as possible. This reinforces the competencies learned in the corresponding classroom training.
Required 40-hour minimum classroom training must have distribution of the classroom hours as indicated below. The minimum required classroom hours do not include break and lunch periods.
Module 1: Introduction to Developmental Disabilities - 4 hours
Module 2: Human Rights - 4 hours
Module 3: Abuse/Neglect/Exploitation--Recognition/Prevention/Intervention - 3 hours
Module 4: Human Interaction & Communication - 4 hours
Module 5: Service Plan Development & Implementation - 5 hours
Module 6: Basic Health & Safety- 15 hours
First Aid & CPR: - 6 hours (American Red Cross or American Heart Association)
Classroom Total: 40 hours
On-The-Job Training (OJT)
45 of the required minimum OJT hours must have distribution of the hours as indicated below. The remaining 35 of the required 80 OJT hours can then be allocated among the modules as the Provider chooses. This flexibility allows for more on-the-job training in areas that best fit the needs of the persons served by the Provider or the training needs of its DSPs.
- Module 1: Introduction to Developmental Disabilities - 5 hours
- Module 2: Human Rights - 5 hours
- Module 3: Abuse, Neglect & Exploitation Recognition, Prevention & Intervention - 5 hours
- Module 4: Human Interaction & Communication - 5 hours
- Module 5: Service Plan Development & Implementation - 5 hours
- Module 6: Basic Health & Safety - 20 hours
- Agency selected OJTs (from Appendix 3 or DHS approved) - 35 hours (OJT Total: 80 hours)
|Example DSP Training Plan Outline
||Classroom Hours by Module
||OJT Hrs by Module
||Agency Selected OJT Hrs
||Classroom Training Dates/Times
|Module 1: Introduction to Developmental Disabilities
8/7/12 8:00A-12:15P 1:15P-3:15P
|Module 2: Human Rights
||8/9/12 1:15P-5:30P 8/10/12 8:00A-12:15P 1:15P-3:15P
|Module 3: Abuse, Neglect & Exploitation Recognition, Prevention & Intervention
||8/13/12 1:15P-5:30P 8/14/12 8:00A-12:15P 1:15P-3:15P
|Module 4: Human Interaction & Communication
||8/16/12 1:15P-5:30P 8/17/12 8:00A-12:15P 1:15P-3:15P
|Module 5: Service Plan Development & Implementation
||8/20/12 1:15P-5:30P 8/21/12 8:00A-12:15P 1:15P-3:15P
|Module 6: Basic Health & Safety
||8/23/12 8:00A-12:15P 8/24/12 8:00A-12:15P 8/27/12 8:00A-12:15P 8/28/12 8:00A-11:15P
||8/23/12 1:15P-5:30P 8/24/12 1:15P-5:30P 8/27/12 1:15P-5:30P 8/28/12 1:15P-5:30P 8/29/12 8:00A-12:15P 1:15P-5:30P 8/30/12 8:00A-12:15P 1:15P-3:15P
|First Aid & CPR (American Red Cross or American Heart Association)
||8/8/12 8:00A-12:15P 1:15P-3:15P
- Agencies may be reimbursed for up to 10 additional hours (classroom or OJT) for a total reimbursable 130 hours of training if the additional hours are included in its approved DSP training program.
- Competency Assessment Tools: Approved DSP training programs must have tests or assessments that objectively document the trainees' understanding of classroom training material (informational competencies) at an 80% or higher level of accuracy. The Department's DSP Core Competency Area Checklist or DSP Training Program: Core Competency Verification Form can be used to monitor the performance of participants in the DSP Training Program.
- Performance Standard Statement: Individuals participating in training must achieve a minimum of 80% accuracy in understanding classroom training material and 100% accuracy in completing on-the-job training skills (interventional competencies).
- Attendance Policy: Attendance is mandatory for all modules. If an individual misses a training session, he or she is responsible for contacting the instructor and scheduling a make-up session. All training sessions must be completed within 120 calendar days from the DSP's date of hire or date assigned DSP duties and must not be completed in less than 21 calendar days from when training begins. Attendance must be documented on a sign-in sheet for each module.
- Include Training Coordinator or Instructor signature and training location information on all attendance sheets.