The Illinois Department of Human Services/Division of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse (IDHS/DASA) is pleased to announce its Drug Overdose Prevention Program (DOPP). Illinois Public Act 099-0480 (HB0001) became effective September 9, 2015 as an enhancement to (IL PA 096-0361), enabling non-medical persons to administer naloxone to persons experiencing an opioid/heroin overdose. This law made it legal in Illinois for emergency responders such as EMS, firefighters, law enforcement to be trained in administering naloxone through its various forms of administration in order to prevent an opioid/heroin overdose from becoming fatal.
To meet the needs of increased accessibility, IDHS/DASA established the Drug Overdose Prevention Program (DOPP). The law currently permits other trained personnel to obtain, possess, and administer naloxone to any person who appears to be suffering an opioid-related overdose.
- Agencies or programs may voluntarily enroll in order to operate a Drug Overdose Prevention Program (DOPP).
- DOPP has developed guidelines to inform potential enrollees about how to become enrolled as a Drug Overdose Prevention Program, including information about training protocols and administering naloxone.
Potential enrollees will include:
- DASA Treatment Programs and Recovery Homes
- Licensed prescribing practitioners
- Public Health Departments
- For profit and Not-for-profit community-based organizations
- Educational facilities
- Urgent care facilities
- Faith-based organizations
- Police Departments
- Other municipalities
DHS/DASA is providing Drug Overdose Prevention Guidelines and an Enrollment package, Standing Order and Reversal Form here on the website to help potential enrollees take steps necessary to operate and enroll a Drug Overdose Prevention Program (DOPP).
(Click on titles below to obtain DOPP materials)
DOPP Guidelines Manual (pdf)
Enrollment Package (IL 444-2051) (pdf)
Standing Order (IL 444-2052) (pdf)
Reversal Form (IL 444-2053) (pdf)
Submission of enrollment applications may be emailed to: DHS.DOPP.Coordinator@illinois.gov
Training Materials and Notices
- DOPP Brochure
- DOPP Webinar scheduled for March 9th, 2017 1-3 p.m.
Register Here: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/9052921727144502018