The Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS) observes October as Domestic Violence Awareness Month!
IDHS funds Domestic Violence programs throughout the state to provide safety assistance to victims and their families.
Victims who need immediate Emergency Assistance should always call 911.
The Illinois Domestic Violence Help Line provides victims with immediate information about their options, and directs victims to community-based service centers and agencies. IDHS provides Illinois families with a continuum of coordinated services and programs to enhance the lives of each family member.
October DVAM Activities
Many statewide events and activities are scheduled for Domestic Violence Awareness Month (DVAM). To view all the events and activities, please visit the IDHS event calendar. You may also download the October DVAM Activities PDF (pdf).
If you would like to volunteer or have questions about a DVAM activity, please contact the Event Coordinator of each event.
Need Help Now?
To locate a Domestic Violence Center near you, please use the DHS Office Locator to identify a center or agency in a near-by city or surrounding area.
You may use the Illinois Domestic Violence Help Line: 1-877-863-6338 (Voice) or 1-877-863-6339 (TTY).
About the Help Line
Illinois Domestic Violence Help Line:
- is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week,
- is staffed by trained domestic violence advocates who are multilingual,
- provides services that are free,
- provides information that is private and confidential,
- functions as a clearinghouse for Domestic Violence Services,
- links a victim and their family to a program that meets the victim's needs, and
- services are available regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, religion, income, disability, or sexual orientation.
Domestic Violence Safety Plan
- Safety plan can help you stay safer even when you think you won't leave and even if your abuser doesn't live with you. If you are concerned about your safety, develop a safety plan. Do it for yourself. Do it for the safer life that you and your children deserve.
- Safety plan is a tool to help you think about what you can do to protect yourself from abuse. This information can get you started. To speak to someone about a personal plan that suits your situation, call the Illinois Domestic Violence Help Line at 1-877-863-6338 (Voice) or 1-877-863-6339 (TTY).
Additional Links and Resources