Unlocking America's Potential Project
AVANCE, Inc. is issuing a Request for Proposal (RFP) from interested, qualified, non-profit organizations serving low-income, high-need Hispanic families to enter into a re-grant agreement with AVANCE to implement the AVANCE Parent-Child Education Program (PCEP) model in its entirety in the selected organizations' communities.
AVANCE, Inc. is one of the oldest and largest parent and early childhood education programs in the country. Since 1973, AVANCE has provided innovative education and family support services to predominantly Hispanic families in low-income, high-need communities, primarily in Texas. The comprehensive Parent-Child Education Program promotes community economic development, positive parenting skills and behaviors, school readiness, parental school involvement, adult education, and civic engagement for a simultaneous impact on both the parent and the child. The program has had a strong impact on Latino families by providing the tools and support to break the cycle of poverty.
On May 1, 2010, the W.K. Kellogg Foundation of Battle Creek, Michigan awarded a $12.6 million grant to fund the "Unlocking America's Potential Project" (UAPP). The purpose of this project is to expand AVANCE's evidence-based Parent-Child Education Program across the United States through two (2) methods. The first method is to partner with qualified organizations serving three (3) distinct ethnic communities (African-American, American Indian, and Hispanic non-Mexican) in a research capacity to culturally adapt the program to suit the needs of these communities more specifically.
The second method provides the opportunity for AVANCE to re-grant funds to twelve (12) qualified organizations over a three year period: four (4) new partners each year for 2011, 2012, and 2013. The UAPP grant allows for a one-time payment of $50,000 to the selected organizations to help with initial setup costs. AVANCE will also provide training and guidance to all new partners. This RFP pertains exclusively to the re-granting of funds to qualified organizations serving a low-income, high-need Hispanic community. Four (4) organizations will be selected via this RFP.
- Proof of 501(c)3 status per IRS guidelines for nonprofit organizations. Attach a copy of your 501(c)3 with your submission email.
- Must be able to meet insurance requirements as listed in the Financial/Administrative section. The insurance company must have at least an A rating.
- Must be able to serve a minimum of 25 families. Class size must be capped at 15, thus at least 2 sessions a week will be needed to reach all 25 families. A make-up class day must also be offered. More families may be served if your organization has the financial capacity to support the number proposed. Class sessions must be conducted in the families' preferred language, thus an English and a Spanish class may need to be offered. The child development activities must take place in the same building as the parenting classes.
- Statement of certification that your organization does not have any outstanding judgments, liens, legal claims, or lawsuits filed against either the organization or employees within the scope of their employment.
- Statement of agreement to implement the AVANCE model in its entirety. No modification or integration with another program is allowed as the PCEP curriculum is copyrighted. Refer to "The AVANCE Parent-Child Education Program" on page 8 for full details of the AVANCE program components.
- Statement of agreement for training by AVANCE personnel to facilitate the start-up of the program.
- Statement of agreement for monitoring and evaluation by AVANCE representatives at defined intervals to ensure fidelity of the program.
- All necessary contact information, to include address, phone number(s), and email.
- History of the organization to include mission, vision, values, etc.
- Services currently provided by the organization, to include demographics of families served and description of facilities/space available for use with the AVANCE program. Include how many rooms are available and how they will be used for the AVANCE program.
- Description of the child development center or facility. Include how the children are grouped and what services are provided for them. A licensed Child Development Center is highly preferred.
- Plan for transportation of the participating families to the site where the PCEP will be implemented. It is understood that transportation will vary somewhat according to location.
- Plan for how meals and snacks will be provided to the families per program guidelines.
- Identify and describe community support partnerships currently in place. Include how long the partnerships have been in place and what specifically has been accomplished with these partnerships.
- Evidence of the impact your organization has made in your community. Specific, measured outcomes are required. A third-party validation study is not required; however, if you do have outcome data from such a research study, include the study's results.
- Description of how the AVANCE model fits with your current organizational structure and philosophy. Include how you envision the AVANCE model impacting your community.
- Detailed sustainability plan, including funding resources in order to demonstrate current financial strength and long term viability (i.e., how you plan on sustaining the program after the grant).
- List of all personnel currently employed by your organization who will be involved in the delivery of the PCEP along with a current resume. Resumes must be submitted via a separate attachment and combined into one PDF document.
- Examples of significant obstacles your organization has encountered and how they were successfully overcome. Include lessons learned and changes made, if any.
- Other information about your organization, such as achievements, awards, endorsements, etc., that would be pertinent to the qualifications for this RFP. Provide a description in the main narrative and attach letters, awards, etc. as needed. It is highly recommended that letters of support be individualized.
Proposals must be received by email only in PDF format no later than 5:00 PM CST, December 15, 2011 at UAPPRFP@avance.org. Any submission received after the stated deadline will not be considered. NOTE: If your organization is not located in the Central Time Zone, you will need to compensate for the time zone difference accordingly.
???For more information regarding the UAPP RFP, please email email@example.com.
Prepared Summary by: