To be paid by the State of Illinois to provide child care services, all providers who are exempt from licensing are required to have all checks in the background check process. The background check consists of three (3) elements:
- A CANTS (Child Abuse and Neglect Tracking System) check,
- A check of the Illinois and/or National Sex Offender Registries (SOR), and
- A criminal background check - done through fingerprinting.
Since you are not related to the child in care, you are required to be cleared through all three elements of the background check. If care is given in your home, all household members who are 13 years and older must be cleared through CANTS and SOR; and household members ages 17 and older are required to be cleared through all three elements, including the fingerprint check.
Everyone who is required to do a background check must complete an Authorization for Background Check form. Adults who do not need to be fingerprinted, and household members age 13 through 16, must complete the form and return it to the Child Care Resource and Referral Agency (CCR&R) listed below within ten (10) business days. Failure to complete and return the form(s) by [10 business days from date of issue] will result in the State denying you as a DHS-approved child care provider and no longer being able to pay you for providing child care services.
For those who need to be fingerprinted, a copy of the confirmation screen from the DCFS database is attached to the Authorization for Background Check form. Individuals who need to be fingerprinted must follow the instructions below:
- Complete the Authorization for Background Check form. Do not remove the attached DCFS confirmation screen.
- Take the completed Authorization for Background Check form, DCFS confirmation screen, and a valid government issued ID (driver's license or ID card) with you to the fingerprint facility. You must be fingerprinted within 21 business days.
- For a list of fingerprint facilities in your area and their schedules, please call 1-866-361-9944 or go to the following web site: www.accuratebiometrics.com.
- After you are fingerprinted, you will be provided with a receipt. Keep this receipt for your records! Duplicate receipts will not be provided.
Failure to be fingerprinted by [21 business days from date of issue] will result in the State denying you as a DHS-approved child care provider and no longer being able to pay you for providing child care services.
Please note the following procedures for challenges to the background check process results.
Challenges to CANTS findings must be made in writing to:
Department of Children & Family Services
State Central Register
406 East Monroe, Station #30
Springfield, IL 62701
Challenges to criminal history findings must be made in writing to: your nearest Illinois State Police or FBI office. Check your local phone book or on-line to find your closest office.
Challenges to sex offender registry information may be made by contacting: the Illinois State Police Sex Offender Registration Team at (217) 785-0653 between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. NOTE: this team can only answer Sex Offender Registry questions - no others.
If you have any questions regarding this process, please contact the CCR&R listed below.
City, State, Zip