Head Start Coordinator Job Description Policy Number and Last Update
Title: Head Start Coordinator
Responsible to: Day Care Director
With guidance from Grantee staff, provides Head Start services to children and families enrolled in the day care program.
- Required fluency in written and spoken Spanish and English
- Six credit hours or equivalent training in child and family development, social work, public health, or similar field
- Knowledge of community resources and the social services system
- Ability to work independently, and to manage time efficiently
- Regular access to a reliable vehicle, valid driver's license, car insurance
- Ability to work flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends
- Ability to pass a health examination, annual TB test, and criminal background check
- Recruit and register eligible migrant children.
- Assist parents to obtain social services.
- Serve as a liaison between parents and the day care center, providing translation, transportation, and relaying communication. Explain parents' rights and obligations in a Head Start program.
- Cooperating with parents, arranges medical, dental, or nutritional examinations and immunizations, and coordinates any further treatment needed. (Obtains parents' written permission for any procedure or release of information.)
- Immediately refers children suspected of having a disability to the day care director and the grantee Disabilities Manager, and follows their guidance for providing services.
- Maintains records, and sends reports to IMSHS office as requested.