Aetna Foundation, Inc.
The Aetna Foundation is dedicated to promoting wellness, health, and access to high-quality health care for everyone, while supporting the communities we serve. To improve the quality and delivery of health services to everyone, and to drive improved health status for the American public, the health care system must be repaired. The Aetna Foundation seeks national and regional partners with the vision to make these goals a reality. We focus our grant making on issues that improve health and the health care system in three areas.
Following Aetna Foundation Letter of Inquiry review, applicants will be contacted for additional information, declined or invited to submit a full proposal. Full proposals will be accepted in quarterly cycles with submission closing dates of:
- February 15
- May 15
- August 15
- November 15
Applications received after midnight Eastern Time on the close date will be reviewed in the next cycle.
Grants will be made only to nonprofit organizations with evidence of IRS 501[c](3) designation
or de facto tax-exempt status.
Proposals are accepted only through the Aetna Foundation's online system.
The Foundation generally does not fund:
- Endowment or capital costs, including construction, renovation, or equipment
- Direct delivery of reimbursable health care services
- Basic biomedical research
- Grants or scholarships to individuals
- Work for which results and impact cannot be measured
- Golf tournaments
- Advocacy, political causes or events
- Sacramental or theological functions of religious organizations
- Operational expenses/existing deficits
The number of grants and total dollars awarded will depend upon the quantity and quality of applications received. Grants will not necessarily be equal in size, distributed equally across designated programs or locations, or awarded at the full amount requested.
- National grants-awards in this category typically range from $50,000 to $250,000. National grant requests may not exceed $250,000 -- including 15% for indirect costs. Project timelines may not exceed two years in length
- Regional grants-awards will generally be $25,000 to $50,000 including 15% for indirect costs. Regional grant requests may not exceed $50,000 and project timelines are generally not to exceed one year in length.
- Sponsorship requests may not exceed one year in length or $50,000, including 15% for indirect costs. Note: Sponsorship awards generally will be $5,000 to $10,000.
The Aetna Foundation generally awards only one grant per organization in a calendar year.
If you have been funded by Aetna/Aetna Foundation in the past 24 months you must make sure your progress reporting requirements are up to date. You can include an update on these grant activities with your application.
Summary Prepared by: