November 2013: DSP Trainee Notebook pages updated with current terminology and information for:
- "Active Treatment" (e.g., "teaching functional skills")
- "Normalization" (e.g., "natural rhythm of life").
- Autism to reflect recent DSM-5 changes.
See Notable DSP Curriculum Updates for more details.
January 2010: All DSP Trainee Notebook pages were updated to reflect new terminology and expanded information. Topics added include:
- Guiding principles on DSP roles and responsibilities developed by the National Association of Direct Support Professionals
- Ethical considerations for DSPs
- Community inclusion
- Adaptive behavior
- Positive Behavior Supports and Positive Interactions
- Choice making process and personal freedoms/Freedom vs. risks
- Grooming and cultural differences
- Designing a visual communication systems
- Effective documentation
- Assisting with ADL's (activities of daily living)
- Dysphagia and general mealtime guidelines
- Foods that may cause choking
- Food preparation safety
- Supporting people with Alzheimer's disease
- Communication challenges for people with Autism
- Mental illness/dual diagnosis
- Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
- "Fatal Four" health concerns for people with DD
- C Difficile (C-diff) Infection
- Safety for people who have seizures
- Medication safety and summer use
DSP trainees, DSP Course Coordinators, and DSP Presenters should maintain all 6 modules to form a DSP Training Notebook.
- Print all DSP Notebook Modules (pdf) - (438 pages).
- Print individual module to form a DSP Notebook:
If you have questions, please contact the Division of Developmental Disabilities at (217) 782-9438.