Please Note: IDHS reserves the right to deny CEs to persons arriving late or leaving early for training. Partial CE credit is not given for arriving late or leaving early.
The Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD) is certified by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation to sponsor Continuing Education hours for the following professional licenses:
- Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC)
- Licensed Clinical Psychologist (LCP)
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
- Licensed Nursing Home Administrator (LNHA)
- Licensed Occupational Therapist (OT) and Occupational Therapy Assistant (OTA)
- Licensed Physical Therapist (PT) and Physical Therapy Assistant (PTA)
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)
- Licensed Social Worker (LSW)
- Registered Nurse (RN), Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) and Advanced Practice Nurse (APN)
- Qualified Intellectual Disabilities Professionals (QIDPs) may apply continuing education hours sponsored by DDD toward their 12-hour, annual CE requirement obtained in the current State Fiscal Year (SFY).
- Educators may receive Continuing Professional Development Units (CPDUs) for completing a qualifying course.
- Other professionals may submit participation certificates or documentation to their licensing boards for possible approval. DDD can provide additional documentation upon request, but approval of DDD sponsored CE credit is not guaranteed by the licensing boards.
Continuing Education Requirements for Qualified QIDPs
QIDPs are required by DDD to obtain 12 hours of continuing education annually and then each State Fiscal Year (SFY) thereafter. Only 6 of the 12 hours can be earned inside the employing agency annually. However, all 12 hours may be earned outside the employing agency.
- Topics must be related to the developmental disabilities field, the work of QIDPs, or issues affecting the field of developmental disabilities or service provision and must be presented by persons qualified in the subject matter.
- College credit courses must relate to the field of developmental disabilities, work of QIDPs, or issues affecting the field of developmental disabilities or service provision. CE hours earned for college credit courses equal the credit hours earned for the course, not the time spent in class.
- See each Course Description or Webinar page for the credit hours awarded.
CEs Obtained Inside the Employing Agency
The limitation on the number of CEs that can be earned annually inside the employing agency ensures that QIDPs are exposed to wider perspectives in the field of developmental disabilities. These CEs can be earned by:
- Completion of IDHS OneNetLearning Computer-Based Learning (CBL) Management System modules.
- Reading qualifying articles in Professional Journals or Books. Each article counts as only 1 hour of CE credit. A maximum of 3 hours of CE credit per fiscal year may be earned in this manner. To count as CE credit, agencies must ensure articles are:
- Educational and relevant to the role or responsibilities of QIDPs, providing services to people with developmental disabilities, or issues affecting the field of developmental disabilities or service provision.
- Authored by a qualified professional in the field or person(s) with documented education or experience in the subject matter.
- Documented as read and understood by the QIDP. To ensure this, agencies can document completion of the article by having the QIDP or other staff:
- Sign their name on an agency-developed form attesting that they read and understood the article. The form should record the author's name (including credentials), and date read.
- Take an agency-developed quiz covering the article's main points.
- Provide a written summary of the article.
CEs Obtained Outside the Employing Agency
Training outside the employing agency must be related to the field of developmental disabilities, work of a QIDP or issues affecting the field of developmental disabilities or service provision. Such training must be delivered by qualified persons that are generally not staff of the same agency as the QIDP. See exception: #3 below. Training outside the agency applies to qualifying topics that are presented by:
- Web, webinar, video, or audio presentations, non-agency or non-IDHS OneNetLearning Computer Based Learning Management System modules, or in-person participation at local conferences.
- Qualified non-agency persons invited to make in-person, audio, video or web conferencing presentations at the QIDP's agency.
- Qualified agency staff at any location where the audience includes staff from outside agencies or participants from a wide geographic area.
CE hours must be documented are based on the time it takes to complete presentations, published CE credit for CBLs, or announced by presenters at the end of a qualifying web, webinar, video, or audio presentation, or the published CE hours offered through an accredited institution of higher learning, or an approved or nationally recognized sponsor of CE credit for specific licenses or professions.
CEs for Presentations Not Pre-approved by IDHS
To earn CEs for presentations not pre-approved by IDHS, the agency must ensure presentations are:
- Relevant to the work of a QIDP or issues affecting the field of developmental disabilities or service provision to people with developmental disabilities.
- Of sufficient content to qualify as an educational presentation.
- Presented by a professional in the field of developmental disabilities, or intellectual disabilities, or qualified in the subject matter of the presentation. Presenters must have:
- Sufficient documented education or experience to serve as a credible authority represent agencies or organizations with ties to the developmental disabilities system, programs, services, supports or advocacy network.
- Ensure the material is viewed by the QIDP or they attended the entire presentation.
- Documented by a certificate of participation issued by the presenter or participants may sign an agency-developed sign-in/out sheet or form confirming that they participated in the entire presentation. Forms must include:
- start and end time
- trainee signature
Training Not Eligible for CE credit
DDD does not approve CE credit for the following types of training. These types of training do NOT count toward a QIDP's annual CE requirement:
- Training required as a condition of employment.
- Recertification training required for knowledge, skills or competency (e.g., CPR, First Aid, Mandt, OIG Rule 50 and biennial refreshers, etc.).
Certificates of Participation and Transcript
- Certificates of Participation ARE awarded for IDHS-sponsored training events when participants register through IDHS OneNet Learning Management system.
- Certificates of Participation are NOT awarded for IDHS-sponsored training events when participants register through GoToMeeting and GoToWebinar web sites. See "Documenting CEs" below.
- Upon request for a IDHS DDD-approved RN Nurse-Trainer Medication Administration replacement Certificate contact Sandra.Bancroft@illinois.gov or (217) 558-1511 or Anne.Fitz@illinois.gov or (217) 785-6183.
- Upon request for a DDD instructor-led Certificate of Attendance of completed courses, please contact DHS.BQM@illinois.gov. If you have questions about the Certificate contact the Bureau of Quality Management at (217) 782-9438 or email DHS.BQM@illinois.gov.
The agency must maintain documentation of CEs in the QIDP's personnel or training file, or in a location accessible for review by DDD.
- If attending in person, documentation may include a formal certificate of participation issued by the conference sponsor or information describing the topics covered in the presentation, the date and length of the presentation and presenter's credentials. This CE credit will NOT be added to your IDHS OneNetLearning Management System transcript.
- If you registered for a IDHS instructor-led training event and registered through the IDHS OneNetLearning Management System a printed Certificate of Participation is provided by the trainer at the completion of the class to be kept as your CEs documentation.
- If documenting the reading of a qualifying article, the QIDP needs to get an agency-developed verification form attesting that the QIDP read and understood the article. The verification form should record the author's name (including credentials), date the article was read and the QIDP's or staff person's signature.
- If completing Computer-Based Learning (CBL) module on the OneNetLearning Management System, CE credits will NOT be posted to the student's OneNetLearning Management system transcript. The last slide in the CBL presentation instructs you on how to document the CEs.
- If completing Computer-Based Learning (CBL) module NOT on OneNet Learning Management System, CE credits will NOT be posted to the OneNet Learning Management System transcript. Documentation of completing these CBLs should include information describing the topics covered in the presentation, the date and length of the presentation and presenter's credentials.
- If participating in a live GoToMeeting/GoToWebinar event, CE credit will NOT be posted to the OneNet Learning Management system transcript. If CE credit is offered for these events, it will equate to the published length of the presentation, or will be announced by presenter at the end of the event based on its actual length. These CE credits will be rounded up to the next 15 minute (0.25 hour) increment.
- When completing a live Webinar, a "Thank you for Attending" an email will be sent to the address you entered to register after the Webinar has ended and can be used as documentation of your participation.
- If several people viewed the webinar using the same computer, be sure to attach a sign-in sheet to the "Thank you for Attending" email or see #7 below. Make sure to write in the announced length of the Webinar on the thank you email as the length of the webinar will not appear in the email.
- If you are viewing/completing a recorded audio, video, Web or Webinar presentations, you will not receive a "Thank you for Attending" email or verification you viewed the Webinar.
- If additional CE documentation is needed for attendees with professional licenses, the email sent to attendees after the webinar may be printed and saved, along with the webinar slide show. This documentation is not sent to DDD.
- See the IDHS web site for the recorded Webinar number of continuing credit hours (CEs) awarded at IDHS Past Webinars Still Available to Earn Continuing Education Credits (CEs).
- For recorded audio, video, Web or Webinar presentations (e.g., GoToMeeting/GoToWebinar events), documentation in the QIDP's or other staff's) signature on an agency-developed sign-in/out sheet or form attesting that they viewed or listened to the entire presentation. These documentation forms must include:
- class name
- class date
- continuing education credit hours (CEs) awarded
- start and end time
- trainee signature