Bureau of Youth Services & Delinquency Prevention
Division of Community Health & Prevention
Illinois Department of Human Services
The Crossroads program provides services to intervene in the lives of youth ages 10 to 17 who have engaged in risk-taking behaviors (gang involvement, violence, drug use, chronic truancy combined with other risky behaviors) but have not yet been arrested.
Services are intended to effect a positive change that will redirect the young person away from risk-taking behavior, allow him/her to avoid interaction with juvenile justice system and assist him or her down the path to a healthy, productive life.
Agencies identify key domains requiring attention in the youth's life; develop a case plan; provide services and/or make referrals as necessary to meet his/her needs; record the results; and track the case. Services are provided in close coordination with other services agencies in the community, in order to effect comprehensive service delivery and best meet the individual needs of each youth.
Funds are granted to community-based agencies in all areas of the state. Youth are referred to Crossroads from other community entities (such as schools, families, churches and/or other service providers) and assessed using the Youth Assessment and Screening Instrument (YASI). Youth eligible for services are those assured as medium to high-risk on the YASI.
|Program Expenditure (Numbers in 000's)
|Number of Grantees
- The Crossroads program intervenes in the lives of youth engaged in risk-taking behaviors in an effort to redirect the young person and assist him/her down the path to a healthy, productive life.
- While in the program, youth are actively pursuing educational goals or if not wee enrolled in school, they were actively pursing employment or were gainfully employed.
- Individuals and family empowerment is achieved through honoring dignity, mutual respect and valuing diversity.
- Enhances a sense of responsibility and self-determination for youth.
- Increases the stability and independent functioning of individuals and families served.
- Encourages positive family and social relationships within a safe environment.
- Cultivates strong community partnership and coalitions.