State of Illinois
Department of Human Services
Providing leadership on behalf of individuals with disabilities and guidance to vocational rehabilitation programs
The Rehabilitation Act provides comprehensive vocational rehabilitation (VR) services to assist individuals with physical and mental disabilities to become fully employed, achieve independence, and full integration into society.
State of Illinois Overview
The Illinois Department of Human Services' Division of Rehabilitation Services (DHS/DRS) is the state's lead agency for serving individuals with disabilities. VR programs are implemented through the Bureau of Blind Services and Bureau of Field Services.
An individual with a significant disability who requires VR services to prepare for, secure, retain, or regain employment is eligible for assistance.
Customers participate in their assessment, goal development, and in the selection of services needed to achieve their goals.
State Rehabilitation Council
The State Rehabilitation Council (SRC) is established by the Rehabilitation Act to advise the Secretary of the Department of Human Services and the Director of the Division of Rehabilitation Services in matters concerning individuals with disabilities, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the provision of rehabilitation services.
The function of SRC is to provide true customer input into the current and future VR process. The Council's federal mandates include:
- Review, analyze, and advise DRS regarding its performance
- Advise and assist in the development of the State Plan for VR services
- Review and evaluate customer satisfaction
- Coordinate activities with other councils
- Identify, jointly develop, and review VR goals and priorities
- Jointly select Impartial Hearing Officers with DRS
SRC members are appointed by the Governor with the majority having a disability. Membership includes representatives from:
- Disability and Advocacy Organizations
- Business, Industry, and Labor
- Community Rehabilitation Service Providers
- Client Assistance Program
- Secondary or Higher Education
- Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor
- Current or Former Customer of VR Services
- Parent Training Information Centers
- State Board of Education
- State Workforce Investment Board
- Blind Services Planning Council
- Statewide Independent Living Council
- Director of DRS
SRC Encourages Your Involvement
- Contact the State Rehabilitation Council (SRC)
- Attend an SRC sponsored public forum
- Attend an SRC meeting
- Request a copy of the State VR Plan
- Request a copy of the SRC Annual Report
For More Information Contact
State Rehabilitation Council
400 W. Lawrence
P. O. Box 19429
Springfield, Illinois 62794-9429
Or Visit: www.drs.illinois.gov/success
Programs, activities and employment opportunities in the Illinois Department of Human Services are open and accessible to any individual or group without regard to age, sex, race, sexual orientation, disability, ethnic origin or religion. The department is an equal opportunity employer and practices affirmative action and reasonable accommodation programs.
DHS 3000 (R-08-11) DRS State Rehabilitation Council
Printed by the Authority of the State of Illinois.