State of Illinois
Department of Human Services
Applying for State Employment with the Illinois Department of Human Services
Dear Prospective Employee:
Thank you for your interest in employment with the Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS). We continuously strive to identify and hire professionals to advance the mission of this agency.
IDHS is comprised of more than 14,000 employees in offices statewide, where, at any given time, job opportunities might be available. This creates the potential for you to serve the community in which you live.
As you make your way through the application process, we encourage you to take full advantage of all the resources that the Bureau of Recruitment and Selection provides. Please do not hesitate to call upon one of our recruiters for assistance.
Again, thank you for your interest in employment with IDHS.
Bureau of Recruitment and Selection
It is the mission of IDHS to assist Illinois residents to achieve self-sufficiency, independence, and health to the maximum extent possible by providing integrated family-oriented services, promoting prevention, and establishing measurable outcomes, in partnership with communities.
Applying for State Employment
Create a master copy of your application:
- Complete the CMS-100 application leavingboxes #1 and #18 blank.
- Make several copies.
- Fill in boxes #1 and #18 on the copies for each position for which you would like to apply.
For written tests: thoroughly complete the CMS-100 application; when ready to test, bring the application with you to one of the following test locations:
- CMS - James R. Thompson Center
100 West Randolph, 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60601
- CMS - Capital City Center
130 West Mason Street
Springfield, IL 62702
217-557-6885 (Voice) or 217-785-3979 (Nextalk)
Open testing: Monday - Thursday8:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Test centers outside Chicago and Springfield are listed in the application insert.
Training / Experience Tests (requiring a degree):
Mail each application to:
CMS Examining and Counseling
Room 500, Stratton Office Building
401 South Spring Street
Springfield, IL 62706
For more information, current vacancies, and to view the Job Title Search, please go to: www.work.illinois.gov
Professional Titles (Requires degree, licensure, or certification)
- Activity Therapist
- Behavioral Analyst Associate
- Clinical Psychologist
- Dentist I / II
- Dietary Manager I / II
- Disability Claims Adjudicator Trainee (Springfield)
- Habilitation Program Coordinator
- Health Facilities Surveillance Nurse
- Health Information Administrator
- Human Services Casework Manager
- Human Relations Representative
- Information Services Specialist I
- Information Systems Analyst I
- Internal Auditor Trainee / I
- Internal Security Investigator I / II
- Licensed Practical Nurse I / II
- Mental Health Administrator I / II
- Mental Health Specialist I / II / III
- Methods and Procedures Advisor I / II / III
- Paralegal Assistant
- Pharmacist / Graduate / Staff / Clinical
- Physical Therapist
- Physician Specialist, Opt. A - E
- Psychologist Associate
- Psychologist I / II
- Public Service Administrator (Options 1 - 8)
- Registered Nurse I / II
- Rehabilitation Counselor Trainee
- Rehabilitation / Mobility Instructor Trainee
- Reimbursement Officer I / II
- Research Economist I
- Senior Public Service Administrator (Options 1 - 8)
- Social Service Program Planner I / II / III
- Social Services Career Trainee
- Social Worker I - IV
- Statistical Research Specialist I / II / III
- Technical Advisor I / II / III
Para-Professional (Clerical, Technician, and Service Maintenance Titles)
- Account Technician I
- Building / Grounds Laborer
- Clinical Laboratory Phlebotomist
- Clinical Lab Technician I / II
- Cook I / II
- Dental Hygienist
- Health Information Associate / Technician
- Human Resources Assistant
- Human Resources Associate
- Maintenance Equipment Operator
- Maintenance Worker
- Mental Health Technician Trainee (This test is administered through IDHS' Technician Selection Program)
- Office Administrator
- Office Assistant
- Office Associate
- Office Coordinator
- Public Aid Eligibility Assistant
- Pharmacist Technician / Lead
- Rehabilitation Case Coordinator I / II
- Residential Care Worker / Trainee
- Security Officer / Sergeant / Lieutenant / Chief
- Security Therapy Aide Trainee
- Stores Clerk
- Stores Keeper I - III
- Support Service Worker / Coordinator I & II
- Switchboard Operator I / II / III
Those with Foreign Language / Manual Communication skills may qualify for an additional increase to the base pay.
For more information:
Bureau of Recruitment and Selection
401 South Clinton
Chicago, IL 60607
312-793-2472 (Voice) or 312-793-1889 (Voice)
Disability Recruitment - 217-782-9842
IDHS is committed to Equal Access and Equal Opportunity
This brochure is available in alternate formats upon request.
Programs, activities and employment opportunities in the Illinois Department of Human Services are open and accessible to any individual or group without regard to age, sex, race, sexual orientation, disability, ethnic origin or religion. The department is an equal opportunity employer and practices affirmative action and reasonable accommodation programs.
DHS 4500 (R-11-12) Recruitment and Selection
Printed by the Authority of the State of Illinois.
7,500 copies P.O.#13-0528