Apply For Cash, SNAP (Food Stamps) & Medical Assistance

Helping Families. Supporting Communities. Empowering Individuals.

There are several ways to apply for Cash, SNAP (formerly Food Stamps), and Medical Assistance.

What happens next?

The application process begins the day your DHS office receives your signed application. You will be asked to come to the office for an interview or participate by phone if you are unable to come to the office.

You will be asked for various types of documents such as:

  • proof of your identity
  • proof of your residence
  • proof of Social Security numbers for all people on your application
  • other types of documents depending on your circumstances.

The DHS caseworker will tell you what you need to bring. 

Contact Information

Need Help with an Application

Please call our toll-free line at 1-800-843-6154 (Voice), 1-800-447-6404 (TTY), if you have questions or need help with the application.

Other Contacts

DHS, USDA, and HHS are equal opportunity providers and employers.

  • Department of Human Services
    EEO/AA Office
    401 S. Clinton Street, 7th floor
    Chicago, IL 60607
  • U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Director, Office of Adjudication
    1400 Independence Avenue, S.W.
    Washington D.C. 20250-9410 
    Toll Free (866) 632-9992 (Voice)
    Individuals who are hearing impaired or have speech disabilities
    may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at
    (800) 877-8339 or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish).
  • U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
    Director, Office for Civil Rights,
    Room 506-F
    HHS Building
    200 Independence Avenue, S.W.
    Washington, D.C. 20201
    (202) 619-0403 (Voice)
    (202) 619-3257 (TTY)

In accordance with Federal Law, U. S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) policy, the Department of Human Services is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, religion, or political belief. To file a complaint of discrimination, contact either the Department of Human Services, USDA, or HHS.

More Information & Resources

DHS Office Locator

DHS Help Line