Guide to IDHS Services - IDHS 4474

Helping Families. Supporting Communities. Empowering Individuals.

State of Illinois
Department of Human Services


A TANF Funded Information & Referral Service

The Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS) provides many services to help people in Illinois have better lives, including information and referrals to services provided by other agencies and community partners. Listed below are services available to meet your individual and family needs.

  • Medical Benefits
  • SNAP Benefits
  • Cash Assistance
  • Employment and Training Services
  • Alcohol and Substance Abuse Services
  • Domestic Violence Services
  • Mental Health Services
  • Services for Pregnant Women
  • Child Care Services
  • Women, Infants and Children (WIC)
  • Services for Teen Parents
  • Child Support
  • Services for People with Disabilities
  • Group Care - Nursing Homes
  • Services for Senior Citizens
  • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
  • Crisis Nursery
  • Food Pantries
  • Healthy Families Illinois
  • Homeless Services

How Can I Apply for Services?

You can apply for services by going to your local IDHS office, or you can call the office and ask them to mail you an application. In some cases, you can apply for services over the phone or online.

To contact IDHS, visit our website at:

or call the automated Helpline for Information and Referral Services.

To find the address and phone number of your local IDHS office, call:

1-800-843-6154 (Voice)

1-800-447-6404 (TTY)

Representatives are available between:

8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  Monday - Friday (except state holidays)

For answers to your questions, please e-mail:

or write:

Illinois Department of Human Services

Bureau of Customer and Support Services

100 South Grand Avenue East, 2nd Floor

Springfield, Illinois 62762

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race,color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals

who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992.

Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture

Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights

1400 Independence Avenue, SW

Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

DHS 4474 (R-11-15) Guide To Services  Printed by authority of the State of Illinois with funds from the TANF Program  35,000 copies P.O. #16-0525