Administered by: Bureau of Maternal and Child Health
The Chicago MCH Mini-Block Grant given to the Chicago Department of Public Health (CDPH) provides direct health services and enabling services to pregnant women, children and women of reproductive age in the city of Chicago. Services are provided to the non-Medicaid and medically indigent population in CDPH clinics.
CDPH also uses these funds for the following programs:
- prenatal weight-gain initiative
- substance abuse prevention and treatment
- smoking cessation program for pregnant and childbearing-age women
- public health nurse home visitation program
- child abuse prevention project
- pediatric triage program
- infant mortality reduction program
- program for substance exposed infants
- program to move families off public assistance to self-sufficiency
- education for pregnant women and children about healthy behaviors.
These programs are targeted to high risk areas within Chicago.
Links and Resources
City of Chicago Department of Public Health
JCPR: Poverty in Chicago
HRSA, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
Chicago Public Library: Facts about Chicago