Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP)

Helping Families. Supporting Communities. Empowering Individuals.

What is the purpose of this service?

IDHS' Child Care Assistance Program provides low-income, working families with access to affordable, quality child care that allows them to continue working and contributes to the healthy, emotional and social development of the child. CCAP can help families pay for care in center-based or home settings. Families are required to cost-share on a sliding scale based on family size and income.

What services are offered?

The State of Illinois helps income eligible families pay for their child care services while they work, go to school, training and participate in other work-related activities if they are on TANF and their TANF caseworker approves the activity on the Responsibility and Service Plan (RSP).

There are 16 Child Care Resource and Referral (CCR&R) agencies throughout Illinois that will serve as your point of contact for applying for child care assistance. They can also help you find a child care provider. Each county has an assigned CCR&R. Find your local CCRR or call 1-877-202-4453 (toll-free).

In addition to the CCR&Rs, IDHS contracts with child care centers and home networks across the state. These contracted providers, known as Site Administered Providers, manage the CCAP in the same way as a CCR&R, but only for the families that use their care. Staff at the Site Administered location will help families complete the Child Care Application, explain what documentation is needed and then determine if the family is eligible for the CCAP. Sites then maintain the families case at the provider's location, including redetermining families eligibility when the approval period is ending to ensure that the family is still eligible for assistance.

IDHS CCAP Family Eligibility Guidelines

To qualify for the program an applicant must be:

  • Illinois resident
  • Recipient of Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), or a
  • Family with a Special Needs child(ren), or a
  • Teen parent enrolled full-time in elementary or high school or GED classes to obtain a high school degree or its equivalent, or a
  • Working family whose monthly income does not exceed the income guideline for their family size

A more complete explanation of CCAP eligibility can be found in the Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) Policy Manual

Do I qualify for Child Care Assistance?

Only the CCR&R or Site Provider can calculate the Total Monthly Income that will be used for determining eligibility for the program. Find your local CCRR or call 1-877-202-4453 (toll-free).

Please use the Child Care Assistance Program Eligibility Calculator to get an estimated calculation.

The provider must decide if they will provide care before the case is approved and how or if to charge the parent while eligibility is being determined.

How to apply?

There are 2 ways to apply:

If you have any questions about your eligibility, call your local CCR&R. Find your local CCRR or call 1-877-202-4453 (toll-free).

Payment information

More information/Helpful Links/Reports

DHS Office Locator

DHS Help Line