State of Illinois
Department of Human Services
If you have reasonable cause to believe that an adult with a disability has been abuse, neglected or financially exploited, you may report it by calling the Office of the Inspector General at this:
OIG Hotline Toll Free number: 1-800-368-1463
(caller may remain anonymous).
The adult with a disability who may be the victim of abuse, neglect or financial exploitation must:
- Be between the ages of 18 and 59;
- Reside in a domestic living situation;
- Have a physical, mental or developmental disability; and
- Reside in the State of Illinois.
If you call the Office of Inspector General Hotline, you should be prepared to provide most of the following information:
- Name, address and phone number of the alleged victim and perpetrator
- Nature of the abuse, neglect or exploitation
- Time, date and location of the incident
- Your name, address and phone number
- Any other helpful information
Your identity will not be disclosed unless you consent to disclose it, or a court order requires disclosure.
The Mission of the Domestic Abuse Program is:
- To investigate allegations of abuse, neglect or financial exploitation.
- To prevent, reduce and eliminate abuse, neglect and financial exploitation of adults with disabilities.
- To facilitate services and remedies to provide immediate and effective assistance and protection.
- To encourage and support the efforts of law enforcement to provide immediate, effective assistance and protection to adults with disabilities who are abused, neglected or financially exploited.
- To make referrals to appropriate social service agencies.
The Office of the Inspector General's Domestic Abuse Program has offices and staff throughout the State of Illinois.
If you have questions about any Department of Human Services (DHS) program, call or visit your local DHS office. We will answer your questions. If you do not know where your local DHS office is or if you are unable to go there, you may call the
automated helpline 24 hours a day at:
You may speak to a representative between:
8:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Monday - Friday (except state holidays)
Visit our web site at: www.dhs.state.il.us
Programs, activities and employment opportunities in the Illinois Department of Human Services are open and accessible to any individual or group without regard to age, sex, race, sexual orientation, disability, ethnic origin or religion. The
department is an equal opportunity employer and practices affirmative action and reasonable accommodation programs.
DHS 4656 (N-10-00) Adults with Disabilities Domestic Abuse Program
Printed by the Authority of the State of Illinois.