The Illinois Department of Human Services supports and partners with many initiatives throughout the State of Illinois. We are aimed at increasing the availability, accessibility and/or quality of life and public services for thousands of Illinois families.
Some initiatives are funded with public dollars, some with private dollars, and some reflect a partnership of public and private support.
We offer these descriptions of state and local initiatives in order to share information that may be useful or of interest to you.
- The primary intent and purpose of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) law is to protect health insurance coverage for workers and their families when they change or lose their jobs.
- The Illinois Disabilities Services Advisory Committee (DSAC) is an advisory committee, appointed by Governor Blagojevich, to assist in the development and implementation of the Illinois Disabilities Services Act; a policy adopted by the State of Illinois to draft a plan to enhance its compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and the US Supreme Court's Olmstead Decision.
- The Illinois Information Technology Accessibility Act became law on August 20, 2007, requiring Illinois agencies and universities to ensure that their web sites, systems, and other information technologies are accessible to people with disabilities.
- Partners For Hope is an Illinois Department of Human Services (DHS) Interfaith Welfare-to-Work Initiative. It is a partnership between DHS local offices and faith communities to help individuals and families become and stay self-sufficient and reach their maximum level of independence.
- "Smart Path...to a unified DHS" was created to renew the original vision for DHS and unify the agency for the benefit of those we serve.
- The Business Enterprise Program (BEP) is managed by the Illinois Department of Central Management Services. IDHS-BEP office is committed to increasing BEP participation in contract opportunities within the department, as well as ensuring that certified BEP vendors benefit from contract opportunities throughout all state agencies under the purview of the governor.