The lien is released when any of the following happens:
- Everything owed is paid, up to the value of the property or the client's portion of the property.
- A bond is filed guaranteeing that what is owed will be paid. There must be legal guarantees before agreeing to the bond.
- An AABD client is discharged from a medical institution and returns to the home which has a lien filed against it.
- An AABD Cash case is closed for reasons besides the death of the client and there is a spouse and minor children. For example, when taking the lien off the property will help the family become self-supporting and reduce the chance they will have to receive cash benefits again.
- The lien was filed by mistake.