IM and Supportive Service Checks
If there is no previous history of fraudulent requests identified on Form 1398:
- (LWU) Process replacement checks within 14 days of the date the Form 98 was signed.
- For reports of multiple losses, replace the earliest dated check first. Hold replacement of the later dated check pending a status reply from WCU.
If there is a previous history of fraud:
- (LWU) Process the Form 552 replacement action if the missing check hasn't been cashed when the stop payment is placed.
- If the missing check was cashed, and the Forensic Document Examiner (Examiner) indicates the signature on the missing check is a forgery, process the Form 552 replacement action by the 30th day from the date the client signed Forms 98.
- (LWU) Keep a copy of the Form 552 and send a copy to the caseworker for filing in the case record.
- File the first copy of the Form 552 and the terminal message sheet (if applicable) in LWU files for auditing purposes.
- (LWU) Tell the CW of the replacement action. Show "Replacement Issued (Date) " on LWU's copy of Form 98.
Child Support Pass Through Checks
Replacements of lost or stolen Child Support Pass Through checks are made by the HFS WCU when:
- a stop payment has been processed before the check reaches the Comptroller for payment; or
- the stop payment was placed too late to prevent the check from being cashed but a handwriting analysis proves the endorsement is a forgery.
Title IV-D Child Support Enforcement Checks
Replacements of lost or stolen IV-D Child Support checks are made by HFS WCU when:
- a stop payment has been processed before the affected check is paid; or
- the stop payment was placed too late to prevent the check from being cashed but a handwriting analysis proves the endorsement is a forgery; and
- the Treasurer recoups the amount of the original check from the 2nd party endorser.