A C-13c is used when a need is too immediate for a mercury check.
A client gives a C-13c to the vendor of their choice as payment for goods or services. The Department reimburses the vendor for the amount of the C-13c.
NOTE: Tell the client to return any C-13c refused by a vendor so another can be issued.
Use a C-13c for Emergency Shelter for clients.
NOTE: DHS has a written agreement with the Salvation Army Emergency Lodge in Chicago to provide shelter to homeless families in the City of Chicago.
A C-13c may be used:
- at intake to authorize food or rent for the period before the first mercury check is received. Rent may be paid if needed to prevent eviction. Deduct the amount of the C-13c from the mercury check for the IPE.
- when a check is reported lost or stolen. The C-13c covers the time before the client receives the replacement check. Deduct the amount of the C-13c from the replacement check.
- when a check is rewritten to pay for food for the time before the client receives the rewritten check. Deduct the amount of the C-13c from the rewritten check.
Issue a C-13c to cover rent to eligible persons who are not getting a shelter allowance when:
- they do not have a permanent place to live, and
- they have found a place to live but need the first month's rent so they can move in, and
- the vendor will accept the C-13c for payment.