- (FCRC) Verify a child support order or voluntary support payments. Do this when a child is included in a benefit unit and has received support from a noncustodial parent or alleged father.
Get a copy of the order from the client or assist them in getting a copy if they request help.
- (FCRC) Report the support order or the voluntary payment to DCSE. At intake complete 2 copies of Automated Intake System (AIS) screen 3G - RR Support Information, or 2 copies of Child Support Terms (Form 1760) if the system is down. In Service Coordination complete 2 copies of Form 1760 to report the support order or voluntary payment.
Complete a separate screen 3G or Form 1760 for each noncustodial parent in a case. If an alleged father is paying support, complete a separate Screen 3G or Form 1760 for each child for whom support is paid.
- (FCRC) Forward both copies of screen 3G or Form 1760 and a copy of the support order to a person named by the Family Community Resource Center to report support orders to DCSE. The named person files one copy of screen 3G or Form 1760 in the case record and forwards a copy of the support order and screen 3G or Form 1760 to DCSE.
- (FCRC Named Person) Completes Child Support Terms Routing Sheet (Form 3603), and attaches the support order and screen 3G or Form 1760 and sends the packet to DCSE as follows:
Assistant Regional Manager
Name of Child Support Regional Office serving your Family Community Resource Center (see the HFS telephone directory).
Enter the Begin Date. The Begin Date is the date of approval.
(FCRC) Upon receipt of a request for screen 3G or Form 1760 from DCSE, make a copy of screen 3G or Form 1760 in the case record and forward it to DCSE.
NOTE: DCSE makes this request if code 541 or 547 appears in Item 90 of the Form 552, and DCSE has not received a copy of screen 3G or Form 1760.
(FCRC) At intake, do not budget child support payments received during the IPE period when calculating the amount of the IPE check. Forward all child support payments received after the date of the application approval notice to HFS.
To determine prospective eligibility at intake or in a SWAP action from medical benefits only to TANF cash, include child support payments in the total unearned income. Allow the pass through disregard.
Determine the dates the child support payments were received if prospectively eligible. If any child support payment is received from the date of initial eligibility for cash benefits through the date of approval:
- allow the pass through disregard; and
- budget child support as unearned income against the IPE.
If a child support payment is received and budgeted for the IPE period:
- allow the pass through disregard for each full or partial month of the IPE, and
- compare the remaining child support amount to the IPE:
- if the child support is equal to or greater than the IPE, do not authorize benefits for the IPE; or
- if the remaining child support is less than the IPE, continue the eligibility process.
Whether eligible for an IPE or not, determine the amount of the benefit for the first regular month:
- allow the pass through disregard, and
- compare the remaining child support amount to the benefit check:
- if the remaining child support is equal to or greater than the benefit check, do not authorize the regular payment but do continue the case progression; or
- if the remaining child support is less than the benefit check, proceed with authorization.
Enter Income/Deduction Codes 541, Administrative/Court Ordered Support, or 547, Voluntary Support, in Item 90 of Form 552. These codes are informational only and the amount entered is not deducted from the cash benefit amount.
Do not report the terms of the order to DCSE when authorizing initial assistance for a child, if the court order indicates the child support is payable to HFS.
Forwarding Support Payments (TANF)
(FCRC) Provide the client with a 2-month supply of Report of Child Support (Form 1765) upon the approval of a TANF cash application which contains:
- a child who is receiving support from a noncustodial parent; or
- at any time a client reports receiving support from a noncustodial parent.
Enter the case ID number and the case name and address in the mailing label area of Form 1765. Enter the date of the application approval notice or the date the child was determined eligible to be added to an existing case on the case ID line of the first Form 1765.
Print the legal name(s) of the noncustodial parent(s) of each child included in the TANF cash case. Advise the client to complete the amount of child support received from each noncustodial parent.
NOTE: A client whose case is coded with an Income/Deduction Code of 541 or 547 in Item 90 of Form 552 receives Form 1765 from Springfield at the beginning of each month. When Notice Of Receipt Of child Support (Form 1661) is received showing the support order is made payable to HFS, manually delete code 541 or 547 so that Form 1765 is not mailed to the client the following month.
(Client) Forwards a completed Form 1765 and all child support payments received after the date of approval to:
Department of Healthcare and Family Services
IV-D Receipt Accounting
PO Box 19138
Springfield, Il 62794-9138
(FCRC) Tell the client not to send cash, to make checks and money orders payable to HFS and to write the child's name and case number on them. Do not accept child support payments. The pass through payment will be issued by DCSE upon receipt of the child support payment.
Verify the amounts paid and the reason for payment when an initial support payment is received for a child in an active TANF cash case, or when a child has received support from a noncustodial parent and is added to the benefit unit.
(Client) Enters a zero in the Amount Received Column, completes the rest of the Form 1765, and returns it immediately if they did not receive a child support payment.
(Client) Contacts the FCRC to obtain more of Form 1765, if needed.
Failure to Send Form 1765
(DCSE) Sends the FCRC Notice of Failure to Report Child Support (Form 1766) if Form 1765 was not received for a TANF cash case reflecting Income/Deduction Codes 541 or 547 in Item 90 of Form 552.
NOTE: Form 1766 is also used to notify the FCRC when the amount of child support submitted is less than the amount reported by the client or if the amount is less than shown in Item 90, codes 541 and/or 547.
(FCRC) In all instances, make a personal contact with the client to determine if Form 1765 and any support received by the client was mailed to HFS.
Undeliverable Form 1765 forms are returned to the FCRC for follow-up action. If the client's Form 1765 is returned as undeliverable, update the address if known, and give the client the corrected Form 1765 to send it to the Title IV-D Accounting Unit with any child support enclosed.
(FCRC) Responsible for control of proper and timely actions on Form 1760, Form 1765, and Form 1766 when the forms are sent to the FCRC.
(FCRC) An overpayment results when a client receives a child support payment that is supposed to be forwarded to Springfield and does not forward it. Identify and record the specific reason for overpayment when completing Overpayment Referral (Form 2404/2404X). For example, "Child Support - Client reported $50 received, submitted $30."