The Bureau of Comprehensive Health Services handles prior approval. Prior approval is needed, except when:
- the client is eligible for Medicare and Medicare covers the item;
- repair does not cost more than 75% of the item's cost;
- the item is a loaner item;
- an item is replaced within 24 months of purchase and all of the following occur:
- the item is not under warranty;
- the item was OK when purchased;
- HFS purchased the original item for the client;
- the original item cannot be repaired or it costs more to repair than replace; and
- the replacement item is new and has the same value as the original.
The following are the requirements and timeframes for specific items.