Intermediate care facilities for the mentally retarded (ICF/MR) provide an ICF/MR level of care to persons with mental retardation (MR) or a related condition. Related conditions may include autism, cerebral palsy, and seizure disorders.
Related conditions do not include mental illness (MI). The mental retardation or related condition must:
- have occurred before age 22, and
- be likely to continue indefinitely, and
- result in substantial functional limitations.
An ICF/MR level of care, unless indicated otherwise, includes:
- Specialized Living Centers (ICF/MR - SLC),
- ICF/MR facilities with 16 or fewer beds (ICF/MR - 16),
- ICF/MR with a Skilled Nursing Facility - Pediatric License (ICF/MR - SNF/PED License).
NOTE: ICF/MR (SNF/PED license) facilities must meet ICF/MR certification requirements to be licensed for SNF/PED services.
ICF/MR (SNF/PED license) care is only provided for a person who was under 21 when they were admitted to the facility. The person must have a medical condition that requires an SNF level of care or have MR or a related condition and/or a severe medical
disability or a combination of severe disabilities.