Code U identifies discrepancies in the budgeting of Unemployment Insurance Benefits (UI).
Illinois Department of Employment Security (DES) files are used to verify receipt of UI. This code identifies someone:
- who is receiving UI and for whom no UI is currently budgeted under code 516 or 538 in Item 90; or
- for whom UI is being budgeted in Item 90, but:
- the DES file does not show that the person receives UI and,
- code 516 is not coded with an S in the Number Column (i.e., as out-of-state UI benefits); or
- who is receiving UI, UI is being budgeted, but the budgeted amount (under code 516 without a Number code S or code 538) and the amount indicated on the DES file differ by $25 or more.
A U code will not select for a case even if it meets the selection criteria for code U if:
- the case is in EZ REDE (Item 36 coded R), or
- there is a code 655 UIEND present with a date under PERSONS that is:
- up to two months prior to the month of the PAL,
- the month of the PAL, or
- the month following the PAL
- there is no UI being budgeted for anyone on the case. This includes SNAP only members.
Example: If the DES file shows a client is receiving UI, the case will not appear as a U code on the 08/04 PAL if:
- there is a code 655 UIEND in Item 80 with a date under PERSONS of 06/04 or later, and
- there is no UI presently being budgeted on the case.
NOTE: The unreported receipt of Trade Reduction Act benefits will not result in the case selecting as a U code.
The amount of UI received is income-averaged. The income-averaged amount is computed as follows:
- all the pays received during the calendar month are added together,
- that sum is divided by the number of pays received and then multiplied by 2.15.
For related policy:
If the information in the case record is the same as that on the PAL, no further action is needed. If the information is different:
- Verify that the IDES wage earner is the client rather than someone else using the same SSN and last name. If the SSN is incorrect, see WAG 03-11-00 for SSN discrepancy procedures.
- Run a Wage Verification File Inquiry (AWVS) to verify benefits already received and to determine if benefits are still being received.
- Use the income verification from the AWVS to determine the overpayment. Report the overpayment and notify the client (see PM 23-04-00).
- If benefits are being received, check the income codes on Form 552 and submit any changes on Form 552 or through ACM. Use Item 90 code 516. NOTE: Enter an S in the Number Column if the UI is from a state other than Illinois.
- If SNAP benefits will be reduced or canceled, Form 157C is centrally sent notifying the client of the reduction or cancellation of the SNAP benefits. Report the overpayment and notify the client (see PM 23-04-00).
- The appropriate way to clear a U code is to resolve the discrepancy which caused the U code to appear. Code U clears when:
- UI is budgeted on Form 552 in an amount that is within $25 of the amount shown on the DES file; or
- code 655 is entered in Item 80 with the appropriate date; or
- the appropriate corrections are made to Item 90 to show that the UI being received is from out of state, or
- code U is entered in Item 52.