Allow the SNAP unit 10 calendar days from the date of the local office request to provide the required verifications. If the 10th day is not a workday, the last day is the first workday following the 10th calendar day.
If the SNAP unit does not provide the required information (except for proof of expenses) by the 10th calendar day, deny the SNAP REDE application on the first workday after the 10th day.
If the unit does not provide proof of an expense for which verification is required, approve the SNAP REDE application without allowing a deduction for the expense. Document why the expense was not allowed. For housing costs,verification is not required. Accept the customer's statement of the amount of their housing costs (rent, mortgage, property taxes, state and local assessments, and homeowner's insurance).
Note: SNAP units entitled to the Standard Medical Deduction remain eligible for the deduction if they state that their medical expenses continue to exceed $35. Do not verify expenses exceed $35 unless their statement is questionable.
If the SNAP unit provides the required information within 30 days of the end of the current approval period, reopen the application. See PM 19-03-08.
If the SNAP unit is eligible, approve the application so the SNAP unit receives its benefits within:
- 30 calendar days after the date of application, or
- 10 days after the date the unit provides the information, whichever is later.
At each SNAP REDE, verify:
- income, if the source has changed, or the amount has changed by more than $50. See PM 13-02-03, Best Estimate, to determine the income to use. For EZ REDE cases and Mid-Point Reporting cases, verify earnings.
- medical expenses of a qualifying member if the unit chooses to use actual medical expenses instead of the Standard Medical Deduction;
- a change in child support payments if the SNAP unit claims the child support deduction;
- change in assets if the reported change exceeds the asset limit;
- newly reported social security numbers (SSN);
- that persons who have to meet the SNAP work requirement expect to meet the work requirement;
- financial management when SNAP related expenses exceed known income and assets (see PM 02-07-03-l);
- other questionable or inconsistent information.
NOTE: Complete a Wage Verification System (AWVS) clearance for all unit members if benefits are approved only on the Mercury rolls or the case is EZ REDE (R in Item 36) or Mid-Point Reporting (I in Item 80 and R in Item 36). If a person has multiple SSNs, complete an AWVS on each number.