The Medical Extension Unit, phone number (217) 785-9792, is responsible for:
- Processing all Forms 3361 required during the extended medical period.
- Terminating extended medical by deleting code X from Item 25, when appropriate.
- REDEing the case at the end of the 12-month extended medical period. If the MEU terminates a case which has food stamps coded on the case, the MEU notifies the Family Community Resource Center to set up a category 08 case.
- If the family is eligible for Assist, the MEU deletes code X in Item 25 and updates Items 30, 78, 80, and 90. The case is then a Assist or Moms and Babies 94 or 96 case and the responsibility of the Family Community Resource Center.
Example: Extended medical for Mr. F and his 3 children (ages 7, 8, and 10) ends 12/31/02. Mr. F returns his Redetermination Form (Form 643) with proof of his income at the end of the 12-month period. Countable income is $1,200. He
does not provide any medical expenses.
The MEU updates Item 30 to 12/02 (the month they are completing the REDE), changes code 158 and adds code 157 in Item 80, and enters code B in Item 78 for the children.
- If the family is eligible for All Kids Share, All Kids Premium, or All Kids Rebate, the MEU cancels the extended medical case and sets up a All Kids Share, All Kids Premium, or All Kids Rebate case. In this situation, the MEU does not set up a spenddown
case for the adults. The case then becomes the responsibility of the Central All Kids Unit. If the case has food stamps, the MEU notifies the Family Community Resource Center to set up an 08 case.
Example: Extended medical for Ms. G and her 3 children ends 11/30/02. Ms. G returns her Form 643 with proof of her income at the end of the 12-month period. Countable income is $1,920. She has no health insurance for the children and
state-administered health insurance is not available to them.
The MEU deletes Ms. G from the case effective 12/02, since the children remain eligible through 12/31/02 due to Continuous Medicaid Eligibility. The MEU cancels the 94 case effective 01/03 and sets up a All Kids Share case for the 3 children effective
01/03, so there is no break in benefits.
- If the family is ineligible for all medical benefits, the MEU cancels the case. If the case has food stamps, the MEU notifies the Family Community Resource Center to set up an 08 case.
Example: Extended medical for Ms. H and her child ends 10/31/02. Ms. H does not return her Form 643 at the end of the 12-month period. MEU deletes Ms. H from the case effective 11/02, since the child is eligible due to Continuous
Medicaid Eligibility through 11/30/02. MEU cancels the case effective 12/02.
- REDEing eligibility when a child reaches age 19 during the extended medical period, to determine whether the ineligible child is disabled, pregnant, aged, or has a child and is eligible under a different medical program.