During the application process, the eligibility worker may issue benefits before all required verifications are obtained. Authorization is done on a Presumed Eligible (PE) basis.
NOTE: For cases where the caretaker relative is an alleged father, see WAG 03-05-01-b.
- Determine if the criteria for opening a PE case are met (see PM 17-02-01-b).
- If the criteria for opening a PE case are met, open the case as follows:
Application Processed Through AIS
To authorize a PE case through AIS you must answer the following question on the Eligibility Determination Subsystem Menu Screen with a Y (yes).
Is This Case Submitted As a "PE" Case? (Y/N)__.
Process the approval through AIS in the usual manner.
NOTE: For Cook County Local Offices only, enter caseloads numbers 001 through 005, as needed (these are special numbers for PE cases). All other Local Offices may use other designations.
Application Processed Through IPACS
(EW) To approve a PE case through IPACS, complete the registration Form 552, or a blank Form 552 as described in WAG 25-08-01-a with the following exceptions:
- Item 1-Enter the letters PE in the category box immediately before the category number.
- Item 2-Enter the date the PE benefits are to begin. This date cannot be before the 30th day after the date of application, unless:
- the application is a Norman Case; or
- the applicant requests Crisis Assistance and they are eligible for it.
- Item 5-For Cook County Local Offices only, enter caseload numbers 001 through 005, as needed in the caseload field (these are special numbers for PE cases). All other Local Offices may use other designations.
- Item 53- Enter the county of residence. The county of residence is the 3 digit code corresponding to the office number of the FCRC located in the household's county of residence.
- Item 77-The beginning medical eligibility date may not be prior to the effective date (Item 2) if a 6-digit effective date is used. Do not authorize medical eligibility for before the effective date of cash benefits.
Medical eligibility can be backdated when the case is certified (see PM 17-02-05-a).
NOTE: When a TANF Cash case is authorized on a PE basis and a GA case is canceled, see WAG 02-05-11 to determine the IPE check.
- Complete and send the Authorization of Assistance - Presumptive Eligibility (PE) (Form 2468) to notify the applicant of the decision to issue benefits on a PE basis.
Certifying a PE (Presumed Eligible) Case
(FCRC) When all eligibility criteria have been verified, and a final determination of eligibility is made, certify the PE case by taking the following actions.
- Complete the current Form 552 as follows:
- Item 1-Line through the letters PE.
- Item 2-Complete.
- Item 3-Enter TA 31.
- Item 32-Enter the effective month and year (4-digit date) that the case is being certified (i.e., the earliest date for which ongoing eligibility has been established).
- Item 33-Enter TAR 70.
- Item 53-Enter the county of residence. The county of residence is the 3 digit code corresponding to the office number of the FCRC located in the household's county of residence.
- Complete and send the following forms to notify the client of the final determination:
- the proper pages and sections of Form 360 series and, if needed;
- TANF Cash Computation Form (Form 2383C); and
- Supplement to Form 2383C, TANF Cash Computation (Form 2383B).
NOTE: When a PE case's nonfinancial eligibility is verified, but the case is ineligible for cash due to income or assets, certify the PE case, then SWAP it to Medical.
If the required verifications are not received, deny the PE case (see WAG 17-04-01-a). If it is learned that a denied PE case was eligible during the PE period, certify the case for that period (see WAG 17-04-01-a).