Authorize TANF benefits as presumed eligible in the following situations:
- Pending Nonfinancial Verification From Third Party
Approve a TANF applicant as presumed eligible if all eligibility factors have been met except for nonfinancial factors, and verification from a third party was requested in writing by the applicant or Family Community Resource Center. When a TANF application is presumed eligible for this reason, the case may stay in this status for up to 3 regular payment months. The initial prorated entitlement (IPE) period does not count in the 3-month period.
Approve a TANF applicant as presumed eligible if the person is unable to obtain verifications due to current or past domestic or sexual violence, or a risk of future violence.
- Caretaker Relative is Alleged Father
Approve a TANF applicant as presumed eligibile if the applicant is the alleged father of the child(ren) for whom he is applying, meets all eligibility factors other than relationship, and meets the special requirements for this situation (see PM 03-05-01).
If a TANF case continues to meet all other eligibility factors and the alleged father cooperates with HFS's Division of Child Support Services (DCSS), the case may stay eligible until the alleged father is named the legal father. The 3-month time limit does not apply to these cases.
NOTE: If an alleged father who previously received TANF as presumptively eligible, and who was canceled due to noncooperation reapplies, do not reinstate the case or approve it again for the same reason, unless the father had a valid reason for noncooperation with DCSS.
Eligibility for TANF can continue:
- when the missing nonfinancial verifications are received within 3 payment months and the case meets all eligibility factors, or
- when relationship is legally established between the alleged father and his child(ren).
End TANF for ineligible person(s) if:
- the 3-month period ends (nonfinancial reason) and all eligibility factors are not documented; or
- DCSS reports that an alleged father (alleged father reason) has not cooperated in establishing he is the legal father.
NOTE: If relationship was established for at least one child, remove any child(ren) for whom relationship was not established and set up a 94R (Ribicoff) case for them, using the original application. Continue TANF for the father and his legal child(ren).