When a check written to a creditor by a Family Community Resource Center protective payee or by the Protective Payee Service Unit (PPSU) is reported lost, stolen, or not received, the following occurs:
- (FCRC PP/PPSU) Calls the bank and requests a stop payment on the check.
- (FCRC PP/PPSU) Replaces the check, if the stop payment is successful.
- (Creditor) If the stop payment is unsuccessful, completes 4 copies of Form 98.
- (FCRC PP/PPSU) Processes a Mercury Form 552 to reimburse the protective payment checking account.
- (FCRC PP/PPSU) Issues a replacement check to the creditor, from the protective payment account.
Writes in the lower left hand corner of the replacement check the following words: "replacement for check number (enter the number of the original check)".
- (FCRC PP/PPSU) Informs the creditor that a stop payment was filed and that the original check must be returned if found.
- (FCRC PP/PPSU) If both checks are cashed, asks the creditor to examine the endorsements on the checks.
- (FCRC PP/PPSU) If the creditor acknowledges receipt of both checks, requests the creditor to provide immediate reimbursement to the Department.
- (FCRC PP/PPSU) Sends all creditor reimbursement payments to the Bureau of Fiscal Operations, Emergency Revolving Fund Unit. Also attaches an explanatory memorandum.