When a check written on a protective payee account is not cashed by the client within 60 days, the Family Community Resource Center protective payee or the PPSU must take the following actions.
- (FCRC PP/PPSU) Investigates why the check was not cashed.
- (FCRC PP/PPSU) If the case is no longer active, orders a stop payment, if client can not be located.
If the case is active:
- contacts the client and asks them to cash the check immediately; and
- orders a stop payment, if it is not cashed within the next 10 calendar days.
- (FCRC PP/PPSU) Adds the amount of the uncashed check back into the client's individual Recipient Ledger and into the protective payee Account Check Register.
- (FCRC PP/PPSU) Sends a check for the full amount of the voided (or stopped payment) check to the Cash Management Unit. Makes the check payable to the Illinois Department of Human Services.
- (FCRC PP/PPSU) Deducts the amount of the check from the appropriate Recipient Ledger to keep the composite total of the ledger accounts in balance with the check register.