A protective payee must agree to serve without being paid and must agree to do the following:
- accept responsibility to spend the cash payment for the unit's benefit, or give the money to the client and supervise how it is spent;
- have the benefit check directly deposited into a checking or savings account in a bank, savings and loan, or credit union;
- keep a record of how the money was spent;
- keep information about the client confidential; and
- participate in fair hearings held on behalf of the client.