NOTE: This section does not apply to the Protective Payee Service Unit (PPSU) in Cook County.
To establish a protective payment plan which designates a Family Community Resource Center staff person as protective payee, do the following:
- (IM) Complete Request for Protective Payee (Form 1653).
- (IM) Send completed Form 1653 to the staff person assigned as the Family Community Resource Center protective payee.
- (FCRC PP) Upon receipt of Form 1653, complete and sign Protective Payment Plan Agreement (Form 2391).
- (FCRC PP) Complete the address section (the top portion) of Authorization for Deposit of Cash Assistance -- Protective Payee Cases (Form 2493A).
The format described below matches the layout of Form 552 for Items 8, 9, and 10. It is used by the Exception Processing Unit (EPU) to change the case to protective payment status.
In the name area - enter:
- ACCOUNT, DHS-
- followed by the first 4 letters of your Family Community Resource Center;
- leave 2 spaces;
- followed by the appropriate Payee Indicator letters PPP or PPU (depending on the type of protective payment plan).
NOTE: To avoid duplication of the first 4 letters of a Family Community Resource Center, show the following counties as:
Macon as MACN
Macoupin as MCPN
White as WITE
Whiteside as WTSD
Williamson as WLSN
In the address area - enter:
- the last name of the client;
- followed by the first initial of the client; and
- followed by the Family Community Resource Center address.
- (FCRC PP) Complete Section A of Form 2493A to include signature.
- (FCRC PP) Ensure that Form 2493A includes the required financial information identified in Section B:
- (FCRC PP) Complete and mail Notice to Client of Protective Payment Plan (Form 2392) to client to advise of the protective payment status.
- (EPU) Receives Form 2493A and completes the Form 552 actions for processing client checks into direct deposit.
- (System) Sends Notice Regarding Your Direct Deposit Request (Form 2501CF) to the Family Community Resource Center protective payee to verify the information.
- (System) For the first regular roll month of protective payment status, mails client's check to the Family Community Resource Center protective payee (not to the bank). The check goes to the protective payee's address listed in Item 9 of Form 552.
NOTE: The first regular roll month of protective payment status is a test run of the direct deposit system to make sure the process runs smoothly. If a problem arises, the concerns can be corrected before direct deposit takes place.
- (System) If there are no changes, mails Notice of Direct Deposit (Form 2501A) to the Family Community Resource Center protective payee. This form gives the starting date of the client's check being placed in direct deposit.
- (System) Directly deposits client's next check, for the 2nd regular roll month of protective payment status, into the bank account.
- (System) Performs the additional following actions:
- Sends Notice of Benefit Direct Deposit (Form 3159A) each time a check is deposited into the protective payee account.
- Mails the MediPlan card to the client.
- Sends client's SNAP benefits to their Illinois Link account.
- (IM) Make changes to case situation as necessary. Changes in need, amount of income, address, or circumstances may affect the protective payment plan. For this reason, send a copy of Form 552 to the Family Community Resource Center protective payee, after the change is authorized.
- (IM) When a case transfers into your Family Community Resource Center, review the need for continuing the protective payment plan.