Cases with an established representative payee will show a payee name in Item 8 of HFS 552, followed either by the letters RPY or RPN.
- For AABD Cash and TANF MANG cases use either the RPY or RPN indicators. Enter RPN when the caretaker relative has failed to cooperate in the child support enforcement process.
- For TANF Cash and GA-FCA cases use only the RPY indicator. The RPN indicator does not apply.
When Item 8 of HFS 552 shows a payee name followed by the letters TEMP, GRDN, PPP, PPSA, PPU or RPT, such payees are not viewed as representative payees (see WAG 16-02-00; WAG 16-04-00; WAG 16-05-00; and WAG 14-07-00).
Assignment of Case Numbers
Case ID numbers are assigned to representative payees.
When a new caretaker relative becomes the RPY on an active case, change the case ID number.
For TANF, AABD, and GA programs, if a person is removed as the RPY in one case and later applies for aid under the same program, use the same case ID number.
If a child in a TANF or GA-FCA case reaches adult status and applies for aid under any program, assign a new case ID number for that person.
Designation of Representative Payee
Complete HFS 552 to designate representative payee:
- Item 1-If the representative payee is different than the caretaker relative, enter the complete case identification number for the representative payee.
- Item 2-Enter the effective date.
- Item 3-Enter the appropriate code for new approvals, reinstatements, resumptions, transfers, etc.
- Item 8-Enter the name of the representative payee. In PAYEE IND. enter:
- RPN-For AABD Cash and TANF MANG only, caretaker relative failed to cooperate with child support.
- RPY-Caretaker relative not included in the unit, or the caretaker relative of a MANG case is being deleted for noncooperation about medical support rights.
- Items 9 & 10-Enter the address of the representative payee.
- Item 28-For TANF, complete when applicable.
- Item 33-For TANF, enter the correct code.
- Item 44-Complete.
- Item 46-Line out any entry if the name of the payee is being changed.
- Items 50-52 -Complete if applicable.
- Item 60-Enter the RPY's name. If the payee has been previously given an RIN, enter the number before the SSN (if available) and/or the last name. Enter the first name of the payee immediately below the RIN.
- Item 61-Enter the birthdate. If the birthdate is not available, enter 2 dashes for the month and 2 dashes for the year.
- Item 62-Enter 25.
- Items 63-74 -Complete as needed.
- Item 75-For TANF, enter the responsible relative or stepparent's SSN if they are in the home but not included in the unit. Enter the SSN of the person whose work history makes it likely they will become employed, increase earnings, or receive UI benefits.
- Item 78-If the new payee receives food stamps on this HFS 552, enter Code 7 or 8, as appropriate. If the new payee does not receive SNAP on this HFS 552, enter Code X.
Active Cases (AABD)
When it becomes necessary to designate a representative payee (RPY or RPN), and there is no break in assistance, take the following actions:
- Process a TA 34, TAR 00 to enter the representative payee. This action will not generate a central notice. Do not send a manual notice.
- Process a 2nd transaction using TA 14. Line out the client's name, address, and case number in Items 8, 9, and 10 and enter the representative payee's name, address, and case number.
Change or Deletion of Representative Payee
When a representative payee is changed to a different person or withdrawn, take the following actions:
- Process a TA 34, TAR 72, to delete the payee. This action does not generate a central notice. Do not send a manual notice.
- Process a 2nd transaction with Code 14 in Item 3. If the representative payee is different than the regular payee, line out the representative payee's name, address, and basic number in Items 8, 9, and 10. Enter the caretaker relative's name, address, and basic number or the new representative payee's address and basic number.
- If changing the RPY from one person to another, process a TA 34, TAR 72, to delete the old payee. Process a TA 34, TAR 00, or add the new RPY to Items 60 through 79. If withdrawing the RPY, enter appropriate changes in Items 60 through 79.
NOTE: Submit a change of address on a representative payee case only if their address changes.