The Department of Children and Family Services (DCFS) administers Child Welfare Services when such services are not available through other public or private child care facilities. DCFS also supervises the:
- Illinois Children's Hospital School in Chicago;
- Illinois School for Visually Impaired in Jacksonville;
- Illinois School for the Deaf in Jacksonville;
- Southern Illinois Children's Service Center in Hurst;
- Illinois Eye and Ear Infirmary in Chicago;
- Illinois Visually Handicapped Institute in Chicago.