WAG 09-02-03-a

If a responsible relative lives with a client, determine if the responsible relative is required to be in the assistance unit. If the relative is not required to be in the unit, determine if they are able to provide support. If the responsible relative receives TANF, AABD Cash, or GA benefits, they are unable to provide support.

Use all nonexempt income of the responsible relative when deciding if the relative is able to provide support. Do not use the responsible relative's assets.

TANF Cases

In TANF cases, spouses are legally responsible for spouses.

If the parent of a dependent child in the case is required to be in the unit (i.e., they are not exempt from filing unit requirements), determine the ability of their excluded spouse in the home to support the entire TANF unit (see PM 10-04-03).

When the excluded spouse has only earned income, it may be financially beneficial for the client to request that their spouse be added to the TANF unit. This is because of the Revised Text3/4 earned income deduction which applies only to those individuals in the TANF case. When the spouse has unearned income, it may not be financially beneficial to include the spouse. Whenever the spouse has income, discuss with the client the option of including the spouse in the TANF unit.

When the person requesting benefits is not the parent of a dependent child in the case, determine the ability of the spouse in the home to support the husband/wife. If the person not requesting benefits has enough income to support the husband/wife, do not include the requesting spouse in the case.

When the child under 18 years of age is a minor caretaker relative and lives with the parent(s), determine parent liability for TANF. Budget the liability against the correct Payment Level for the unit. See PM 10-04-04 for determining parent liability.

Assist Cases

For children under age 18, combine the responsible relative's income with the unit's income when comparing income to the appropriate income standard.

For an 18-year-old child who is living with their parent(s), establish a separate case. Do not count the income of the parent(s) when determining the child's eligibility.