Payments from Federal or federally funded public assistance programs and State or local assistance payments that are based on need, are nonexempt unearned income. Nonexempt public assistance payments include:
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI);
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF);
- Aid to the Aged, Blind, and Disabled (AABD); and
- General Assistance (GA), GA Workfare, including GA disbursing orders paid directly to a vendor. But the following types of 3rd party payments are exempt:
- Emergency GA payments provided to a 3rd party on behalf of a migrant farmworker in the job stream.
- GA disbursing orders paid directly to a vendor for medical care, child care, or temporary shelter with no refrigerator or cooking facilities.