As a part of complying with SNAP E & T, nonexempt GA-TA clients must respond to job referrals for suitable employment. For a job to be suitable employment it must meet the following criteria:
- Wages offered must be at least:
- the Federal or State minimum wage (see WAG 25-06-08), or
- the sub-minimum youth training wage. In Illinois, this rate is only for persons under age 18 who have not already worked for 180 days (lifetime total) at the sub-minimum rate. It is always 50 cents less than the current minimum wage.
- If wages are on a piecework basis, the amount the client can reasonably expect to earn must equal at least the correct minimum wage.
- As a condition of employment, the client cannot be required to: join, resign from, or refrain from joining any legal labor organization.
- The job does not pose an unreasonable degree of risk to the client's health and safety.
- The client is physically and mentally able to perform the work.