Impose the sanction using TA 31/TAR 43 to enter Item 80 code 176 ASNC. In ACM, enter the code 176 on the SANCTION INFORMATION screen, which follows the ACTIONS TO BE TAKEN screen when you enter TA 31 and TAR 43 or TAR 51. In IPACS, the code is entered
on PAGE 7, TANF GRANT COMPUTATION, under SANCTIONS.
A sanction can also be processed through VCM.
In VCM, the sanction module is accessed from the Selection of Service Need window by clicking on Tools. The system sends you through a series of windows that identify the client involved, details concerning the violation (e.g., failed to respond to
job referral, etc.), and which activity the client failed. The system allows the worker to schedule a reconciliation appointment with the client through completion of the automated Reconciliation Appointment Notice (Form 2846) which can be printed and
sent to the client.
Based on the results of the reconciliation, the system allows you to impose the sanction if appropriate.
VCM maintains a history of all sanction activity.
Item 80 Code 176 (worker entered)
Enter Item 80 code 176 with the following fields through either ACM or IPACS:
- 176 (under CODE);
- the noncooperating person's RIN (under RIN);
- the 4-digit effective month/year of the action (under DATE);
- the reason code (under RSN) (see codes and definitions below); and
- the sanction level - 1, 2, or 3 (under LEVEL).
Also enter the 6-digit date on/by which the client failed to cooperate under NCP DATE (noncooperation date). The NCP date is only needed for the Notice of Change - Sanction (Form 157PC) and does not appear in the code. When completing the Form 552 for
IPACS entry, enter the NCP date in REMARKS. To report the NCP date, enter in the REMARKS box:
Box 85 = MM/DD/YY
The system sends Form 157PC with the correct message based on all these entries.
Code 176 is printed on the Form 552 in Item 80 with the reason under PERSONS, the 4-digit date under TOTAL COST, the RIN above the reason and date, and the level under SUP. BY. The code and fields also appear on page 2 of the ACID clearance.
DO NOT CHANGE ITEM 73 OR ITEM 78 for the noncooperating person. The sanction applies to the case, not the person. No other entries are needed to impose the sanction. The system automatically closes out the person's activity code from
Reason Codes and Definitions
Use Reason Codes 01 - 12 with TA 31/TAR 43 to impose the sanction. Code 176 is active when one of these codes (01-12) is present in the reason field. (It also remains active until 3 months after the sanction date when reason 00 is entered for a 2nd or
3rd level sanction.)
- 01 Failed to respond to a job referral of suitable employment.
- 02 Failed to accept a bona fide offer of suitable employment.
- 03 Discontinued part-time employment.
- 04 Reduced employment.
- 05 Failed to respond to a written notice for a meeting.
- 06 Failed to complete and provide verification of the required number of acceptable employer contacts every 30 days.
- 07 Failed to participate in a program activity.
- 08 Failed to cooperate with Substance Abuse Treatment.
- 09 Failed to provide verification of education/training activities, employability status, etc.
- 10 Failed to complete an activity in your plan.
- 11 Failed to accept child care, transportation, counseling, or other services you need to reach your goals.
- 12 Failed to cooperate with a Mental Health referral, assessment, or treatment plan.
Use TA 31/TAR 51 to change the reason code on an active sanction to one of the following under the conditions listed:
- 00 Client has cooperated. (Makes code 176 inactive when entered if level is 1. For levels 2 and 3, code 176 remains active until 3 months after the code 176 DATE if entered before then.) Enter an activity code in Item 60 for the
- 90 Client is no longer required to cooperate (makes code 176 inactive when entered). If the client is later required to cooperate again, enter an activity code in Item 60 for the client. Do not change the reason to 00 unless it is
more than 3 months after the sanction date.
- 99 Client appealed before the date of change on Form 157PC (makes code 176 inactive when entered). If the client begins to participate in an activity during the appeal process, enter an activity code in Item 60 for the client. Do not
change the reason to 00 during the appeal. (For what to do when the appeal is over, see WAG 03-13-05-g.)
Central Process of TANF/FS Sanction
When the worker imposes a TANF work and training sanction using TA 31/TAR 43 to enter Item 80 code 176 ASNC in ACM or IPACS, or VCM as described above, the system centrally enters the food stamp
sanction code 242 FSWS for the noncooperating person based on the TANF sanction entries, when FS are coded on the TANF case. See WAG 03-15-08-b and WAG 03-15-09-b for Central Process of TANF/FS Sanction.
NOTE: If the FS are not on the TANF case, the worker must manually enter and delete code 242 FSWS information on the case with the FS when a customer fails to comply with TANF work and training requirements.
Item 90 Code 512 (system entered)
(System) Reduces the cash benefit through central entry of Item 90 code 512. The system computes the amount of the cash benefit reduction and enters code 512 in Item 90 with the correct amount, based on all active sanction
codes on the Form 552. Only the system can enter, change, and delete code 512.
The code 512 amount is:
- 50% of the Payment Level (Level 1 and 2 sanctions for the first 3 months); or
- 100% of the Payment Level (Level 3 sanctions and Level 1 and 2 sanctions from the 4th month on); or
- the cash benefit amount, if it is less than the percentage of the Payment Level.
(System) Subtracts code 512 from the cash benefit amount prior to recoupment. The code 512 amount is shown as "SANCTION AMOUNT" on Form 553H, Form 553I, and Form 553J.
(System) Adds code 512 to the cash benefit amount.
(Worker) You do not need to make any adjustment to the FS budgeting because of the sanction when the FS are coded on the same Form 552. The system makes the adjustment automatically. Code 357 NCA,
Noncompliance Amount, is not needed.
(Worker) If the FS are not on the same Form 552, enter code 357 NCA on the case with the FS. Code 357 must be equal to the code 512 amount.
Item 34 Zero Grant Code C (system entered)
(System) Enters code C in Item 34 when the cash benefit is reduced to zero because of the sanction. Only the system can enter code C based on a code 512 amount equal to the cash benefit.
(System) Removes code C when the sanction code becomes inactive.