If a person provides an SSN:
- Verify the SSN by viewing the applicant's Social Security card, SOLQ, or a document such as a driver's license or other card with their signature or photo.
- Enter the SSN as shown on the document on AIS screen #3C or in Item 60 of Form 552.
If a person does not have an SSN:
- Tell the person that an application for an SSN is a condition of eligibility (except for GA, Moms and Babies, babies born to Medicaid eligible mothers, and noncitizen children who have certain nonimmigrant visas or are undocumented).
- Complete a Requirement to Apply for Social Security Number Card (Form 3168). Issue one copy to the client and place a copy in the case record.
- Give the person Form 3168 and Form 267 or Form 1721 and tell them to report to the local Social Security District office. Tell the client they must give SSA proof of age, identity, and citizen/INS status.
- Allow the client 10 calendar days to return proof that an application for an SSN has been filed.
- Enter the date proof of filing for an SSN is received in the office on AIS screen #3c or document on Request for Financial Assistance - Medical Assistance - Food Stamps (Form 2378C).
NOTE: For cash benefits, do not process the application as "presumptively eligible" (PE) pending the receipt of an SSN. Applying for an SSN meets the SSN requirement.
For persons who refuse or fail to comply with SSN policy, see WAG 03-11-04.