When figuring initial or ongoing eligibility for a widow/widower who has lost SSI benefits:
- Decide SSP eligibility based on nonfinancial requirements and assets.
- Access the BENDEX/SDX Family Community Resource Center Inquiry Program (see WAG 22-08-14) to verify that the client:
- receives Social Security Widow/Widower benefits (Social Security claim number suffix starts with a W or D); and
- is ineligible for Medicare Part A; and
- lost SSI benefits because of the Social Security Widow/Widower benefits.
- Contact SSA for verifications if the information is not available on the BENDEX/SDX Family Community Resource Center Inquiry Program.
- Approve SSP as a zero grant case with zero grant reason 8 for a client who meets AABD asset and nonfinancial requirements and who lost SSI benefits because of receiving Widow/Widower benefits.
- Set a control to review eligibility when the client becomes entitled to Medicare by turning age 65 or being disabled for 24 months.