When a noncitizen requests a statement of no debt, take the following actions:
- Complete an ACID clearance (see WAG 22-08-01) to determine if the client received benefits in the past 2 years.
- Complete an ARS clearance (see WAG 22-08-08) to determine if there is an outstanding client error overpayment.
NOTE: Before May 1, 1974, citizenship was not an eligibility factor, so the client was entitled to benefits and there was no overpayment.
- If no client error overpayment exists, prepare a statement that includes:
Our records show that the person received benefits that they were entitled to, or received no benefits in the past 2 years, and owes no money to DHS.
If there is an outstanding client error overpayment, see step 5.
- Have the statement signed by the Family Community Resource Center administrator and notarized.
- If there is an outstanding client error overpayment, tell the noncitizen that the statement of no debt cannot be provided until the overpayment is repaid. See WAG 23-05-00 for repayment of an overpayment.
NOTE: If a former client wants to repay any or all of their benefits, accept the payment. Repayment is not a condition for receiving a statement of no debt, unless a client error overpayment exists.