Report suspected elder abuse within 24 hours to the Department on Aging's (DoA's) Elder Abuse and Neglect Program. Call one of the following numbers:
- the DoA Senior HelpLine at 1-800-252-8966 during regular business hours (8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday); or
- the DoA After-Hours Elder Abuse Hotline at 1-800-279-0400 (5:00 p.m. to 8:30 a.m., Monday through Friday; and all weekend and holiday hours); or
- the designated Elder Abuse Provider Agency in the client's area (see WAG 25-05-02).
When making a report, provide the following information:
- the alleged victim's name, address, telephone number, sex, age, and general condition;
- the alleged abuser's name, sex, age, relationship to victim, and condition;
- the circumstances which lead you to believe the older person is being abused, neglected, or financially exploited;
- whether the alleged victim is in immediate danger; the best time to contact the person; if they know of the report; and if there is any danger to the worker going out;
- whether you believe the client could make a report themselves;
- your name, telephone number, and profession;
- the names of others with information about the situation;
- if you are willing to be contacted; and
- any other relevant information.
Even if you do not have all of the above information, make the call and report as much information as possible. DoA will accept an anonymous report.