Effective Date: 03/08/02
Reference: 45 CFR , Subpart F, §98.54; Memo dated 3/8/02
Funds may not be expended for students enrolled in grades 1 through 12 for:
- Any service provided to such students during the regular school day;
- Any service for which such students receive academic credit toward graduation; or
- Any instructional services that supplant or duplicate the academic program of any public or private school.
A school age child is a child who turns five on or before September 1 and is enrolled in kindergarten or a child who is 6 to 12 years of age and is enrolled in school.
School age children are eligible for child care services provided during non-school hours and must be reasonably related to the parent's work/school/training schedule.
School age children attending a private or parochial school are not eligible for child care assistance to cover the cost of tuition.
Home-schooled children are not eligible for child care during the home-schooled portion of the day.
If kindergarten is provided at a child care center, the child is only eligible to receive child care services for the portion of the day that is not spent in kindergarten. Any tuition for the kindergarten program must be paid by the parent.
Confirm that the requested child care schedule is reasonably related to the parent's work schedule and meets the child's needs.
EXAMPLE 1: Parent works a traditional 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. schedule, Mon. - Fri. The parent travels 30 minutes from the provider to the employer. The child attends school from 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Approve child care before and after
school at either the part day or school age rate.
EXAMPLE 2: Parent works Monday, Wednesday and Friday, from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. with 15 minutes travel time each way. The child is enrolled in part day kindergarten from 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. The provider picks the child up at
school at 12:00 p.m. Approve care from 12:00 p.m. to 4:15 p.m. for three days per week. Because the care is less than 5 hours per day, only part day care is needed.
EXAMPLE 3: Parent works Sunday through Thursday, 3:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. The child attends school from 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Child takes the bus to the provider's house and arrives at 3:00 p.m. Approve five full days of care Sunday
through Thursday. Care is not needed on Friday.
If a school age child routinely needs care less than five hours per day during the school year, the child shall be approved at either the part time rate or school age rate for the entire month. If the child attends five or more hours per day due to a
school holiday or closure, the department will pay the full day rate if the child is in attendance. The parent's work/school schedule must support the need for more than 5 hours of care.
Site Administered Program Procedures
For each child listed on the Site Administered Monthly Enrollment Report (SAMER), Site Administered providers shall:
- Enter the number of full time days attended.
- Enter the number of part time or school age days attended.
- Since there are zero eligible days approved at the full day rate, write in the number of full time days eligible. Note: The number of eligible full time days and the number of attended full time days should always be the same.
- Indicate in the margin the date(s) and reason for full time attendance (i.e. 1/21/02, Martin Luther King's birthday).
- Draw a single line through the original number of part time or school age eligible days approved. Reduce this number by the number of full time days attended.
Certificate Program Procedures
CCR&R staff must ensure that school age children who normally attend less than five hours per day, Monday through Friday, are only approved for either the part time rate or school age rate during the school year. In most cases, staff can make
payment corrections on the payment entry screen when a provider indicates that a full day(s) of care was provided. In some cases, an approval update will be required before the payment can be entered correctly.
- Approval Process
- CCR&R staff shall approve either part time or school age days for school-age children who routinely need care less than five hours per day during the school year.
- If the certificate is returned to the CCR&R for payment processing and the provider has indicated full time attendance, the provider must indicate the date(s) and reason for full time attendance (i.e. 1/21/02, Martin Luther King's
- Payment Process
- If full time care was provided, reduce the number of eligible part time or school age days by the number of full days attended.
- Increase the number of eligible full time days to equal the number of full days attended.
- Enter the number of full time days and part time or school age days actually attended.