When the treatment provider submits proof of the client's participation on Form 2151B, no other proof is needed.
As long as the client is participating in a treatment program, they are not required to participate in another work and training activity, unless recommended by the treatment provider.
A client who fails to attend the referral appointment or to participate in treatment as part of their Work First assignment is subject to Work First noncooperation penalties (see PM 21-02-06-k and WAG 21-02-06-k).
Person Refuses or Fails to Participate - Intake
Do not deny the application because an applicant refuses or fails to follow through with a mental health referral assessment or treatment plan. Document the behavior that suggests a need for a mental health assessment in the case file, for follow-up
at the point of service coordination.
Person Refuses or Fails to Participate - Active Cases
If the need for a mental health assessment was indicated at Intake, but the person refused or failed to comply, discuss the need for a referral with the person. If the person accepts the referral, add the mental health referral to the RSP and code
Item 60 of Form 552 to reflect the referral or update the Service Plan in VCM. If the need for a mental health assessment was indicated, but the client does not accept the referral or fails to follow through with assessment or treatment plan::
- (Worker) Conduct a joint meeting with the mental health provider to determine the appropriate course of action.
- (Worker) If the client is deemed not capable to follow through with the referral, assessment, or treatment plan, work out a strategy to engage the client in the mental health activity.
- Review the situation to determine if a referral to SSA or another service(s) is appropriate.
- Engage the client in other Work and Training activities, if appropriate.
- Do not impose a sanction.
- (Worker) If the client is deemed capable of following through with the referral, assessment, or treatment plan, hold a reconciliation meeting with the client, if indicated by the joint meeting (see PM 03-13-04 and WAG 03-13-04).
NOTE: The client, the caseworker, and the mental health liaison must all attend the reconciliation meeting.
- Impose a sanction if reconciliation is unsuccessful.