Hospice care services are provided to:
- TANF and AABD clients,
- P3 TA clients,
- Category 07 GA clients under age 18, and
- Medicare recipients residing in long term care facilities as required by Federal law.
Terminally ill clients with a life expectancy of 6 months or less can use hospice care. Hospice care can be provided in the client's home or in a long term care facility. The client must decline traditional treatment and any other care that duplicates
NOTE: For spenddown clients, treat the cost of hospice care given in a nursing home as being incurred on the first day of the month. Treat the cost of hospice care in the home as being incurred on the
day care is provided.
Ask, do not require, Category 07 GA clients under age 18 asking for hospice care to apply for SSI and AABD. Hospice care is not covered for Category 07 TA clients if it is provided by a hospital.
HFS pays for the following hospice services:
- nursing care;
- physician services;
- medical social services;
- short-term inpatient care;
- medical appliances, supplies and drugs;
- home health aide services; and
- occupational, physical, and speech-language therapy services to control symptoms; and
- counseling services.