To determine countable monthly income for an NH or SLF case, deduct the following items in the order listed from the person's total nonexempt monthly income:
- for a nursing home case, $30 NH (nursing home) Standard or $90 Veterans Benefit Disregard, whichever is appropriate (see PM 15-04-04-e);
- for a SLF case, the appropriate SLF Standard (see PM 15-06-02);
- Community Spouse Maintenance Needs Allowance; deduct from non-SSI income only (see PM 15-04-04-a);
- Family Maintenance Needs Allowance; deduct from non-SSI income only (see PM 15-04-04-b);
- Maintenance for Dependent Child(ren) under age 21 who does not reside with the community spouse; deduct from non-SSI income only (see PM 15-04-04-c);
- for an NH case, Community Home Maintenance Allowance (see PM 15-04-04-d);
- employment expenses and the earned income disregard for employed individuals;
- SMIB and other health insurance premiums, deductibles, or coinsurance charges;
- other allowable medical expenses (bills and receipts) (see PM 15-08-06).
NOTE: A receipt for payment of NH and SLF charges at the private pay rate can only be applied to a customer's credit or spenddown in the month the payment is made.
Deducting the amounts listed above from total nonexempt income determines the countable monthly income available to apply to NH or SLF care. If the person has excess nonexempt assets, the excess amount is added to the person's countable monthly income to apply to NH or SLF care.