Child support payments that are designated by a court or administrative order to be used only for a specific child(ren) are earmarked. Child support may not be earmarked for blood-related siblings living together who must be included
in the same case due to TANF Filing Unit policy. Child support may not be earmarked for a child in a TANF unit for whom the payment level was not increased due to Family Accountability (see PM 10-06).
Support payments may be earmarked for:
- an SSI child; or
- a child who does not qualify for TANF for reasons other than receipt of SSI or sanctions (allocated earmarking); or
- a child who is not required to be in the TANF unit (optional earmarking).
Advise clients of earmarking policy:
- at intake,
- when completing a TANF REDE,
- when the client contacts the Family Community Resource Center to discuss earmarking child support payments,
- when removing a child from a case when that child meets the allocated or optional earmarking criteria, or
- when restoring assistance with no break in benefits.