WAG 03-13-00.

Revised TextAdults and minor parents applying for TANF benefits must cooperate in:

  • developing a Responsibility and Services Plan (RSP) appropriate for their situation (see PM 02-09-00 and PM 19-02-00); and
  • signing the RSP.

Revised TextAdults and minor parents receiving TANF must also cooperate in following through on the activities agreed to in their RSP.

Develop the RSP to help applicants and clients obtain the employment, education, training, and other services needed to increase the family's self-sufficiency.

The activities that the person must do are listed in their RSP (see PM 02-09-01 and PM 19-02-06). Teen parents have their own RSP (see PM 14-08-00). The activities in the plan are structured to meet the specific needs of the person and their family. They may include:

  • education;
  • training;
  • job search and work activities;
  • referral and treatment for drug abuse, alcohol abuse, domestic New Textor sexual violence, or mental health;
  • obtaining health-related services; and
  • other activities needed to overcome barriers to self-sufficiency.

Require teen parents, age 19 and under, who don't have a high school degree or a GED to enroll in school or in a GED program if they are not already attending. If they are attending, their goal is to complete their education. Refer these teen parents to the Teen Parents Services (TPS) program (see PM 14-12-00).

When setting goals for adult applicants or clients or teen parents who have a high school degree (or equivalent), determine if they are job-ready. See WAG 19-02-06-b for a guide for determining if a person is job-ready.

If a person is job-ready, refer them to existing job possibilities present in the community.

If a person has a barrier to work, Revised Textset goals and activities that address these barriers.

Revised TextFor information on assessment, referral criteria, determination of, and goals and activities for barriers to work, see the following:

Explain to all recipients of TANF that they are expected to follow through on the activities listed in their RSP. If an applicant who volunteers to participate in work and training activities needs supportive services, such as child care or transportation, refer them to the community partner (Front Door contractor) for help in obtaining or paying for these services. For child care, also refer them to the CCR&R. For clients receiving TANF benefits, see PM 21-05-00 regarding supportive services.

This policy does not apply to representative payees (RPYs) for child-only cash cases or to All Kids Assist or Moms and Babies cases.

Families Involved with DCFS

A family that receives TANF often requires services from several state or community social service agencies, including DCFS. DCFS provides intact family services to children and adults in a family where credible evidence of abuse or neglect has been found, but the children are not removed from the home. DCFS works with the family to prevent the loss of parental rights.

When a family applying for TANF or requesting a SWAP to TANF indicates that they are receiving intact family services from DCFS, ask them what activities they are involved in with DCFS. Accept the person's statement about what DCFS activities they are participating in. Develop an RSP that allows them to cooperate with DCFS and moves them toward self-sufficiency. Don't schedule the person for times or activities which conflict with their DCFS